Sunday, February 24, 2013

Skies Darkened

After the planned pub crawl was spasmed out of the plan for yesterday I settled into a quiet day at home.  I knocked out the weekly grocery shopping (another tub of chocolate cookies – which Buddy seemed inordinately interested in).  I also checked out the newest scary movie – Dark Skies.

The film started out pretty well, building suspense and being pretty scary.  Great premise as unexplained and very spooky events build up in a family struggling to make it economically.  I guess Keri Russell is a pretty big name but I don’t get it.  She’s made a name as a TV actress but it doesn’t translate well onto the big screen.  After the intriguing start, the movie doesn’t bring it home in the second half.  The reasons behind the events are explained and then shown too starkly and it ceases to be scary.  Close but clearly a miss.
The day was further darkened when I learned that one of my favorite employees at work died suddenly in her sleep overnight.  She was one of the dispatchers at work and one of the few that you could count on to get a straight (Un-union centric) answer.  A true loss for everybody at work and a kind of chilling reminder that these are the “storm years” for people in my age group.  She was only two years older than me and seemed in pretty good health.  My thoughts and prayers are with her shocked family.

My sister and brother in law proposed coming up for a long sought dinner at a local restaurant that we’ve both driven by hundreds of times but for some reason have never been inside.  We’ve planned a couple of dinners there and something always seems to happen.  Enter yesterday’s storm – and some attendant freezing rain.  There was no way I wanted these important people (to me and dozens of others) to risk their safety.
The storm was supposed to be a major event but it turned out to be a lot less than advertised.  It came in around sundown and the snow steadily built up to about four inches by the time I went to bed.  I woke up this morning and overnight rain had come in and completely soaked down the snow, even though it was then snowing steadily.  I know the snow blower won’t be able to lift this heavy a slush so I’ll be shoveling and thinking about those storm years. 
Front Yard Yesterday Morning
Back Yard Yesterday Morning
Front Yard at Sunset Yesterday
Back Yard at Sunset
Front Yard This Morning
Back Yard This Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment