Saturday, February 2, 2013

Solitude Shattered

Just What the Doctor Ordered!
After an incredibly long and eye torturing day at work my extremely superb boss let me leave a little early so I could once again joust with the traffic hell hole that is Connecticut.  Long time readers will recognize there is only one reason that could send me willingly into that maelstrom – picking up my daughter and son in law in New Haven!!!

They came up for Superbowl Weekend to help assuage the loneliness of the Pana-Gal departure and to watch the game on what my daughter described as my “new bajillion-inch television”. 

These two are obviously among the most favorite people in my universe and the ride back to the obligatory Zorba’s pizza together totally removed the sense of loneliness that had pervaded my world since my wife’s departure.  They’re just a lot of fun to be around and the conversation flowed among our favorite topics of reading, movies, and television shows as well as my son in law’s upcoming trip to the far reaches of Asia.

I totally appreciate their presence in the house which seems like a home again now that it’s not just Buddy and I. 

The daughter was suitably impressed with the new television and she immediately inflicted a new TV show on me – as she is wont to do.  I can’t catch up with everything I want to watch and she and her brother have a disturbing habit of informing me of TV shows they know I would like and I end up hooked on them.

Last night’s contribution to my already packed viewing schedule was an original series on Netflix called House of Cards.  It has a truly amazing cast, including my secret crush Kate Mara, but this is totally Kevin Spacey’s show and he DOMINATES!!!!! He plays a powerful congressman who is dissed by a newly inaugurated president.  Spacey’s character then sets out to exact his revenge in devious methods aided by an arctic cold wife – Princess Buttercup.  It’s a great and unflinching look at power politics as Spacey uses his pawns’ own vices against them while he sits back and enjoys the carnage he manipulates.  Every now and then Spacey will look into the camera and either make a comment or deliver one of his trademark “looks”.  It was a so much fun and can’t wait to see the rest of the series – damn it.

My wife called from Panama where she has arrived in her home town of David.  She was in typical phone mode which meant she was trying to carry on three different conversations with passing family members while trying to talk with us.  There were long stretches when she forgot we were on the phone which my daughter and I found incredibly funny and endearing.  My wife tries to be all things to everybody – I really miss her.
My Wife Cavorting in Panama (Photo by Laury)
Delicious Evil

No comments:

Post a Comment