Monday, February 4, 2013

Truly Super Sunday

The SuperBowl Gathering
Plus This guy!
I could really have cared less about this year’s Superbowl and which of the bombastic Harbaugh boys emerged triumphant.  It’s a good thing we are fresh off an election year so we were semi-trained for the hypocrisy of ESPN’s canonization of Ray Lewis, noted double murderer.  The game itself, except for the power outage, was everything a Superbowl should be.

The best part about the day was the gathering of son, sister, and brother in law who joined my daughter and son in law for a truly great day. 

I woke up to a slight dusting of snow but I knew I had to get it off the driveway before it was packed into ice.  My son showed up shortly thereafter, his timing remains impeccable.  The first big task for the day, besides my son’s laundry, was loading my old TV into the back of a truck.  I’m giving it away to the friend of my son since I now have my gajillion inch TV. 

This was a bit of an adventure as four of us negotiated the massive old TV down the stairs and onto the truck.  My daughter chronicled the effort in a series of photos which I include below.  It was like saying goodbye to an old friend but his replacement is so sexy that I can’t say I’m going to miss him, at all.  I’m just glad we were able to find a good home for him.  My son received a report that the TV made it back to Maine and was set up in time for Superbowl viewing.

The “kids” and I went out for lunch, pre-game drinks, and a movie.  My son in law loves to see my daughter squirm while watching horror movies so we all checked out Mama.  The first part was kind of scary but about half way through they reveal the ghost and it loses a lot of zing.  Jessica Chastain proves chameleon like with another memorable character and was the only thing worth watching in the movie.

We returned home to be joined by my sister and brother in law.  We loaded down a table with food, including a mystical Zorba’s pizza, and drinks to enjoy the game and commercials.  As stated above I was ambivalent about the game but the company was so superb that the game became special.  Both my daughter and son in law were parts of office pools standing to win some money for the score at the end of each quarter and that gave us something to cheer for.  It did call for a lot of mathematics though and I rediscovered beer has an inverse relationship with arithmetic accuracy.  The late safety cost a friend of theirs $9K – must be a big office.

Buddy had a really bad game as he spent two sojourns in the penalty box.  My sister believes he just loses all self-control when food is around.  I think it’s a combination of the food and knowing my sister (the well known softest touch in the world) wee in the same room. 

My daughter thought Buddy was missing my wife (we all were) and this contributed to his agitated state.  I spoke with her three times yesterday, missing her more with each phone call.  Buddy did hear her voice over the phone and immediately perked up.  My daughter may be on to something. 

I’m going to hate saying goodbye to them today.
The Morning Dusting
The Old Friend Heads Out the Door
About as Heavy as it Looks
Glad I Moved the Snow Out
Thank God it Had Wheels
One More Lift
Whoah!
Standing Back to Admire our Work
And It's Gone - No Sharp Corners!
Bro in Law at the Food Table
Semi-Scary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment