Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscarized

So last night was the biggest non-sports event of the year for me (other than my wife’s return, of course).  For the second year in a row I watched the show alone which was okay because I really don’t enjoy long discussions on who is wearing what.

I survived moving the slush off the driveway yesterday morning.  As expected the snow blower could not throw the water laden snow.  It could however push it and I used the tractor to push the snow off the huge flat part at the top of the hill.  I had to revert to the shovel for the hilly part but the snow was sitting on top of a layer of water which made it very easy to move to the side.  I’m glad I did because it snowed the entire day but none of it stuck on the driveway because it was clear.  Some of my neighbors were not as fortunate. 

I spent the day watching more of the 1960’s series, Combat!  As I watch these episodes I’m discovering that all of the battles in a French village were the same village. It’s been kind of fun to see how they try to disguise it each week to make it look different.  Southern California also bears no resemblance to Northern France.  Vic Morrow is still Vic Morrow though – and that’s more than enough.

I really enjoyed the Oscar show which, despite its length, moved right along.  Seth McFarlane was a very good host (the best in years).  I didn’t know he could sing and he also did a great job of poking fun and getting the stuffed shirts from taking themselves too seriously.  I’ve only visited L.A. once but that was the enduring impression I was left with – pomposity and self-importance. 

I know my strong willed and woman’s advocate daughter was less than pleased with the man who inflicted the movie Ted on the world being entrusted with her favorite TV show of the year, but I think even she will admit it was a lot of fun.  I loved the Hathaway win because she remnds me so much of that same beloved daughter.

I actually guessed correctly about all the acting categories, first time I’ve done that in a long time.  I thought Daniel Day-Lewis had the best speech of the night and Affleck the most heartfelt.  The other great moments for me:  Theron dancing (is there anything she can’t do?), Ang Lee winning (Life of Pi really was an experience), and the musical numbers.  I find myself actually wanting to see Les Miserables after the immense musical number featuring the entire cast including, Maximus Decimus Meridius himself.  The best aspect was the show was about celebrating Hollywood and how transforming some of the work can be.

I think the Oscar producers finally figured out what movie nuts (guilty) really want to see in their biggest night of the year - celebrate the medium itself and not so much each other. 

I woke up to find that the snow had continued through the night and there was about three inches to get off the driveway.  Luckily it was the light stuff which the snow blower made short work of before throwing its auger belt again.  The snow had coated all the tree limbs which transforms the scenery into something almost breathtaking enough to make the commute into work tolerable (where did all these flatlanders come from?)
One of the Best Moments - Theron Dancing with Magic Mike
My Oscar Party Fare - French Fries and Banquet Fried
My Wife's Head Just Exploded
Snow Coated Trees This Morning - Picture Incapable to Doing Justice to the Beauty
 

No comments:

Post a Comment