Monday, February 18, 2013

Hell Winds

Front Yard Yesterday - Scoured
My Keene Friend pulled his usual early morning disappearing act yesterday morning after a night of just hellacious winds that continued throughout the day and into last night.  The winds were so strong that the entire house was shaking.  Buddy woke up several times from a dead sleep to bark at the sounds generated by the phantom winds. 

Buddy was also a little freaked out to find our large metal wheelbarrow had been blown across the lawn near his normal roosting area.  I was a little bit in awe of the strength of the wind because the wheel barrow had been buried in snow until yesterday and is not light.  We also received some more snow, most of which was blown off the driveway – as a large amount of the remaining snow in the front yard was also scoured off the front yard.  Thankfully the snow blower was working – all I had to do was get it a little bit into the air and it disappeared.  I just had to remember not to try to throw it into the wind and get it blown back into my face.  I was about seventy per cent successful at that.  I just wonder where all the snow ended up – must suck to be at the base of the hill.

Yesterday was also resupply day as I hit up the grocery store.  I missed the family in the isolated house so when I walked by the frozen food section and spied Banquet Fried Chicken – I was sold.  This was a staple of our family early in our married life when we were a lot less financially secure.  I brought it home and just the smell of it – unchanged in thirty years – was enough to bring back some nice memories.  I was speaking to my wife on the bat phone to Panama and she also immediately picked up on my nostalgic fare. 

My wife was exhausted after organizing parties and then squiring my son and MEG around Panama for a week.  Luckily she’ll get a rest this week.  She finally did see the pictures of the home from the storm and was appropriately impressed.

I spent the day watching Combat! and Rome while starting a new puzzle late in the day.  The neighbor and his two completely charming young daughters stopped by selling chocolate bars for their school.  It was nice to have some human contact after an isolated day and the young ladies were immediately drawn to my new puzzle efforts.   It was a nice, short visit – just fabulous people. 

The winds continued into the night and woke me up a couple times as the house fought to keep its place on top of the hill.  It was an epic battle.  Panama seems like a better and better option.
Where Wheelbarrow Ended up
It Started Out Behind the House
Finished This on Saturday
Neighbor Kids Helping With New Puzzle
Too Cute for Words - Kept Saying Hi to Me
Yes - Nostalgic Junk Food!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment