Friday, October 7, 2016

Tediousity Rewarded

More than Worth all the Travel Headaches
We have a new record holder for the most tedious travel to and from Logan International Airport and it isn’t even close. The silver lining is that in the middle of the to and fro I got to link up with not only my Cali-Daughter and Wingman but none other than that star of Frail Deeds Dancing – The First Blog Reader! I would make that trip on a bicycle if called for. Come to think – last night that might have been a faster mode of travel.
Abuela Did Not Want to Let Go of Her
I thought I was being exceptionally clever by checking the route online ahead of time and avoiding a huge traffic backup by traveling some back roads through Marlborough to get to the Mass Pike. All was going swimmingly until we hit Boston. It took me forty-five minutes to travel the five miles from Fenway Park to the airport, not fun. We were parking the car when we got the message that they had landed.
First Sighting
Both of the California adults looked exhausted. My granddaughter has increased her mobility geometrically since her last flight and put them through the wringer on the flight. She was her usual charming self but she’s also a very busy young lady that kept her parents occupied for the entire time she wasn’t sleeping.
Checking Out All Her East Coast Toys
I screwed up the installation of the car seat and our initial attempts to rectify that brought us dangerously close to the expiration time of the parking ticket. We had it safe but leaning a little bit which was not what our granddaughter was prepared to tolerate. She consistently informed us of her displeasure despite the herculean efforts of both mom and grandma.  The plan was to pull over on the first rest stop to fix it which should have been about 15-20 minutes.
Climbing to the Duck
An hour later we finally reached the rest area and effected repairs. My attempts to assist resulted in the usual injury. My wife says I am incapable of any repair operation without shedding blood. I jury rigged a bandage with a couple McDonalds napkins and my tie for the rest of the trip home. Our guest of honor cooed her approval of the repaired seating situation the rest of the way into Worcester.
Dinner with Grandpa

Grandpa was a Little Happy

And So Was She

Pointing Out my Nose (Like Anyone Could Miss It)
She was a little stand offish when we first grabbed her at the airport but by the time we reached home and she saw the treasure trove of toys waiting for her we were good friends again. We played catch with a ball as she took in the new environment. It’s incredible how much more mobile she is. She followed her mother up the stairs and was rewarded with a huge duck which became her best friend.

Touchdown!
We sat down to a late dinner where she ate like a lumberjack and made good friends with Buddy for the all the detritus that ended up on the floor (the Buddy Zone). I got to sit next to her and I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun. We exchanged scrunchy face looks and she showed me the proper way to signal a touchdown. Life’s all about balance so I think the pain of the trip was in payment or all the fun that awaited me when we arrived home.





No comments:

Post a Comment