Sunday, October 16, 2016

Friends Fare

Good Times with Good Friends
I finally got the ultimate release from a frantic week with some time spent back in my hometown with some good friends, led by none other than Keene Friend himself. I find it comforting that returning home and just spending time around friends can be so rejuvenating. I awoke to temperatures near the freezing mark but like most stubborn New Englanders I have refused to turn on the heat yet, knowing that once I do I'm committed for the winter. Since I don't have a tropically blooded wife around to influence the decision process by wearing parkas inside the house I'm on my own.
I Want to go Find Grandpa
The prospect of a shower with the house in the mid-50s didn't feel optimal. I remembered the salesman who sold me the split unit air conditioners said they could also be used to heat the specific rooms they are located. I had to go back to the manuals to learn how to manipulate the remote control but it worked! I know the friends I did eventually hang out with were thankful I didn't forgo the shower.
My New Acquisition
I first had to make another winter related purchase - a snow blower. I gave up my old one when we sold the house in Charlton and need one now since I refuse to lower myself to actually shoveling snow again. It's kind of like a riding lawn mower - tough to go back. I stopped by the local Sears store and actually had a good experience (the sound you hear is my mother rolling over in her grave). I lucked into one of those old time salesmen, who knew his product and didn't try to force anything down my throat. He noticed I was wearing my retired Army hat and even threw in a military discount.
I was looking forward to the drive north because I truly love seeing the foliage bloom. It took being away form New England for a couple decades to fully appreciate the spectacular colors we are blessed with at this time of the year. This year with the drought affecting everything the colors were fantastic. When I arrived Keene Friend and I decided to stop by the Elm City Brewery first because we hadn't been there in a few months. Unfortunately our favorite bar tendress was not on duty and her replacement was no where near as competent. That didn't stop us from destroying a coupe servings of Keene Kolsch before heading downtown.
The Curbside Husbands with 2d Gen Curbside Brood in New Jersey Yesterday
As we were leaving Elm City we ran into a fellow high school classmate fresh off a long bike ride on this fabulous day. That's one of the things I cherish about returning to my hometown, running into people I've known for most of my life. Keene Friend is newly nudging himself into the 21st century with the purchase of his first smart phone and was busily texting other friends to vector them into our ultimate location - Scores Sports bar.
Loved the Choices, We Turned Right
As we approached the bar I saw this sign out front which offered a stark choice. (they had me at "booze"). Once established in the bar we were engulfed by playoff baseball, football, and the odd hockey game playing on the variety of screens. We were joined in short order by another classmate and her fiancé who were returning from once again running up and down large mountains in the Presidential Range. They were a little shaken by passing a fellow hiker who had suffered an apparent fatal heart attack.
Just a Great Bunch!
They in turn were followed by Keene Friend 2 and his fiancé who completed the group assembly. One of the critical decisions made during the course of events that followed was nailing down the date of my annual birthday pub crawl in Keene (details to follow for those interested). It was a fun evening of camaraderie and just what the doctored ordered for a fairly battered psyche. We even made a FaceTime call to Panama to my wife so we could offer a group toast to Don Neco.
Condo Construction Down in Panama - Even Workers Stop to Admire View
After returning home to a very relieved Buddy the Wonder Pooch and some fantastic pizza Keene Friend and I wandered down the street to the neighborhood bar. I made sure to point out to him both coming and going the fact that my kindergarten classroom was right next door. My kids, if reading this, both just groaned in sympathy with Keene Friend. A very good day and one that medicinally help prepare for the challenging week ahead.
A Photo I'm Sure She'll Appreciate in a Few Years - Bathing with Strange Men

No comments:

Post a Comment