Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Gut Punch Promotion

First I’d like to thank all friends and family that have reached out over the past day to express their sympathy and support after the death of my father in law. I’ve relayed all of these thoughts to my wife in Panama. It really does make a difference when you receive this outpouring of support. My wife and her family spent last night at the funeral home performing a vigil with her dad. Her bother spent the night there so his dad wouldn’t be alone overnight. The funeral is today. It happened so quickly that I wasn’t able to get a flight down there in time and as you’ll see below I’ve been decisively engaged on the home front. Despite all that it hurts not to be there for my Favorite Panamanian today.
Now to that gut punch; I’ve written before how much I admire and love working for my excellent boss. Yesterday I was informed that I was being promoted to his position and he was being removed. I don’t agree with the decision but it was made well above my level. I helped him clean out his office last night. It was incredibly difficult and emotional. I know the decision was made, at least in some small part, because they knew I could step in and take over fairly seamlessly so I feel guilty in that respect.
Granddaughter Practicing her Touchdown Signal in Hotel Mirror
Following my military career I wasn’t looking for promotions or recognition. I had more than my fair share of that in my first career. I was happy coming to work every day and loved the people I came to work with, especially the excellent boss. So while I’m excited about the challenges of the new job and the corner office it’s not the way I wanted it to happen. I feel like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest since I’ve got to handle this transition at the same time as moving the entire company to a new facility over the next two weeks. Challenges are the spice of life, at least employment wise, but sometimes you can get too much of a good thing.

Insisting that Wingman Join her in Playpen
Meanwhile in New York City my granddaughter is absolutely dominating her hotel room. Wingman has provided some very uplifting photos over the past couple days as she explores her new, temporary environment. He’s on his own for most of the day as my daughter works out of her home office a few blocks away. I wish I could trade places with him for a couple days.
Practicing Using her Feet for "If You're Happy and You Know It" Clapping

Escape

Exploring With Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment