Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Expected Sadness

Rest in Peace Don Neco
While there are a multitude of other things going on I find it hard to focus today. My father in law lost his long battle with a variety of health issues and slipped away in his sleep last night. I know it’s a blessing because he was in a lot of pain and really wasn’t the same man I’ve come to know over the past thirty years as his mental faculties were assaulted from within. I know his family is relieved on a certain level because of that but you can’t experience a loss like this and not feel diminished.
With his "Pito"
He was a simple man who loved his family desperately. He chose to never leave Panama to visit his far flung family and was most happy when they came to visit. He was a doting father, grandfather, and great grandfather. His specialty was pet names for each of the kids and grandkids. My wife was always “Pito” to him while my daughter was “Popsicle” and my son “Peluso”; even the First Blog reader acquired a name, “La Bollita”, when they met for the first time earlier this year.
And "Popsicle"
I was terrified of meeting him back in 1981 as I had to ask in my very halting Spanish at the time for the hand of his daughter in marriage. The fact that I’d proposed to her three days after meeting her was grounds for intense worry with this very traditional man. I think he sensed my worry and was a complete gentleman – only instructing me to learn better Spanish before the wedding.
At Our Wedding in 1982
A lifelong and ardent New York Yankee fan we had a lot of fun over the years jousting about the rise and fall of the Red Sox. He had a long life and stayed spry right up to the last couple years. My wife would chide him for climbing the orange tree in their back yard when he was well into his 85th year. Up until the past couple years he was always setting out on walks whether to the center of town to hang out with his friends or just down to the store to buy some treat for one of his “kids”. He also liked to sit out on his front porch to watch the neighborhood walk by as part of his daily routine..

One of the Family Dominoes Games He Loved So Much
He loved to play dominos and I cannot remember a single family party over the past thirty years where he attended and didn’t end up with a collection of uncles slapping down the game pieces with abandon. He’ll be missed by all who know him for the unpretentious yet heartfelt love he carried for his family and especially his “Changita” – his wife for more than 62 years. I know they’re all hurting as they gather to make arrangements. Please keep “Don Neco” and his special family in your thoughts and prayers today.
With the Love of his Life - His "Changita"

Meeting "La Bollita" Earlier this Year

Always Happy When People (Even Me) Visited

Most Happy When Surrounded by his Kids and Grandkids

At His Normal Station on the Front porch 
Throwing Horseshoes Earlier this Year

He Will be Missed



No comments:

Post a Comment