Monday, October 3, 2016

Odysseusian Weekend

Panamanians at Jefferson Memorial
I played the part of my favorite Ithacan over the weekend with a “day trip” to the nation’s capital on Saturday and Sunday. I didn’t fly (well except for a few speed limits punctured). We originally planned on driving to Niagara Falls with my brother in law and his wife but some rainy weather made that less than reasonable. I mistakenly looked at the weather report for Washington and found it was supposed to at least be dry. I say “mistakenly” because I relayed this information to my wife.
First Fridaying
She quickly got on the phone and activated the Panamanian Mafia hotline and we suddenly had a place to stay just outside DC with some fantastic friends. Of course we first had to get there -that was the exceedingly “fun” part. In my never ending quest to spread the gospel of First Friday celebrations we exposed the visiting Panamanians to Brew City on Friday where my brother in law discovered Guinness beer and his wife was drinking a beer with blueberries floating around in it. Sometimes you just have to look away.
Friday Night Line Dancing

Wife with the Mafiosos
Undeterred by our early Saturday morning departure my wife arranged Friday night dinner and dancing with the neighborhood Mafiosos. We decamped to the Auburn American Legion Hall where we had some great food, better company and non-stop dancing until late in the night. I can’t think of a better way to spend the night before a 4am wakeup and 500 mile drive.
Maryland Buffet
At least we had the drizzling rain combined with darkness, the kind of rain that is just enough to obscure vision but not enough to turn the wipers on consistently. I was a severely hurting cowboy well into Pennsylvania. We had just passed Michael Scott’s favorite town when I actually woke my wife up and let her drive for the better part of an hour. That brief respite was all I needed to recharge the battery and I took over the final stretch from Harrisburg down to Virginia. We stopped for lunch in Northern Maryland at an "all you can eat" buffet that used to be a standard stop when we lived nearby Pennsylvania.
Tomb of the Unknowns
We started out at Arlington National Cemetery just before 2pm. We saw the changing of the guard and a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. We jumped back in the car as I tried to remember all my insider routes into the tourist infested city. I won’t say I’m getting any younger but after a few extra turns I knocked sufficient rust off the memory banks to find a parking spot near the Jefferson Memorial. 
On Bridge Near Tidal Basin

Wife and I at Jefferson Memorial
We jumped back into the car for a trip around the National Mall boasting a huge new museum for African American History, with a lines stretching several times around the massive building. It looks great. Since my wife is not one to take walking from a distant parking spot lightly I was challenged to find a spot near the White House. After some scenic touring of Northwest DC I lucked into a spot just off 17th Street which allowed access to both the White House and the nearby Mall.
White House
The security ring around the White House has expanded a lot since my last visit. You now have to stand across the road on the south side. We fought a battle for a camera shot with the customary passel of Asian tourists and then set off for the mall. The Panamanians, both accomplished ecologists, were fascinated with all the trees that liberally festoon DC. After passing through the World War 2 Memorial we trekked up the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial which provided the usual great views of the city. While walking back to the car we took in the Vietnam Memorial as well as some gymnastic ducks in the Constitution Gardens Pond. This led to a lively discussion between my wife and her sister in law. I’m not sure I want to know what they were discussing.
WW2 Memorial

Wife Tries Photo Bombing

Base of Lincoln Memorial

Ole Abe

View Down the National Mall from the Lincoln

Vietnam Memorial

The Duck Discussion at Constitutional Gardens
After some requisite souvenir shopping and darkness fell we made our way north via Connecticut Avenue to Silver Spring, Maryland where the too nice friends lived. It’s so great to have friends whom you may not have seen for a couple years but immediately feel right at home in their presence. We were soon gathered around their dining room table eating pizza and drinking beer. We miss being closer to our DC friends but all too many times in the conversations that followed was a reference to the traffic and how that affected their lives, once again affirming my decision to abandon the area.
Saturday Night Around the Table
My wife and her friend were soon locked into one of those type conversations where my input is neither wanted nor appreciated. The long day/drive and a couple beers were also making their presence known so I hit the sack just before 11pm. I don’t know what time they finally ran out of steam but my wife admitted yesterday that it was after 1am.
At Gettysburg with Abe Again

Wife was a Little Fresh
The full night sleep did wonders and I did all the driving on Sunday. My wife arranged a drive by greeting with a former neighbor who lives near Frederick, Maryland now.  She also mentioned that her brother wanted to see Gettysburg and I never tire of visiting there even though I’ve been dozens of times. I wasn’t prepared for just how much he did enjoy it.
The New Visitor Cenetr
Apparently he’s a bit of a history nut and just marveled at touring the battlefield with me. He even knew who the 20
th Maine was. This was the first time I’d given the tour in Spanish to someone who was genuinely interested in the rebel attempts to find the union left flank on the second day. We spent some time in the new visitors’ center but mostly out on the battlefield talking about the battle. I really enjoyed sharing my similar interests with him. We even found the 5th NH monument which is located near the Wheat Field where my great-grandfather’s brother, Corporal Warren Parker, fell on the second day.
At High Water mark of Pickett's Charge

Viewing Battlefield from Little Round Top


Governor Warren Still on Station

I was able to locate a Cracker Barrel Restaurant for lunch on our route back which my wife insisted upon. With the use of a carefully applied pry bar my brother in law and I were able to extract our respective wives from the shopping there. It was a long drive back but traffic wasn’t bad and we were on our way through Connecticut as the sun fell. We had to detour to Rhode Island where the Wonder Pooch resided with my sister during our absence.
20th Maine Lines

In the Devil's Den

Above Devil's Den - Little Round Top in Background

Pointing to my Great-Great Uncle's Name

5th NH Monument
Just before the Rhode Island border a car about fifty meters in front of us had to veer sharply out of the way as a pick-up truck crossed over into our lane from the other direction. We were also taking evasive action when the pick-up driver either woke up or realized what was happening and jerked back into his lane. He was gamely trying to regain control of his vehicle with tires screeching as he passed us. It was a moment after a long day behind the wheel that certainly got the heart pumping a little faster. I had no trouble staying awake from that point onwards.

After a Long Day Driving at Great Aunt and Soxfather's House
We picked up a jubilant Buddy at Great Aunt’s house and saw their impressively redesigned upstairs bathroom. Now that they’re empty nesters they’re re-establishing control of their environment. All empty nesters know what that’s all about. So a very long day but one that started and ended with good friends and family, can’t ask more than that. Well maybe a few more stunning photos of the most beautiful baby currently drawing breath.
















No comments:

Post a Comment