Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Aged Take

These Guys are Inbound on Thursday
I was already feeling fairly tired after my weekend adventure halfway down the East Coast when I opened the morning paper over breakfast. I thought I recognized the picture at the top of the front page referencing a story about a Soldier included inside. The story concerned a Lieutenant Colonel in the Massachusetts National Guard who was talking about his service and the fact he was ushering his own son around colleges to look at the ROTC programs.
Am I This Old Already!
So in addition to feeling tired I felt really old because I’ve had a picture of the guy hanging in my own office for the past twenty years. As a captain, I was his ROTC instructor back in the early 1990s and clearly remember his shenanigans as a cadet/college student. Now he’s a lieutenant colonel contemplating his own retirement! Is it possible I’m getting this old? I reached out to the subject and we agreed to meet in a few weeks to compare notes over some beers.
My FaceTime Gal
Luckily I have the First Blog Reader to make me feel young again. We exchanged “scrunchy faces” during our Facetime call last night which she apparently associates with me. The entire California clan is descending on us this Thursday to add to the fun already permeating due to the Panamanian contingent. Life should be fairly excellent at that point and we could bust the meter when the Favorite Son and ABFA, along with the grandpuppy, join us on Friday night. Speaking of the grandpuppy, Riggins is turning into quite the young Lothario and has acquired a “girlfriend” at his day care facility. The ABFA and son are already wringing hands as the proud parents.
Riggins(l) with his Girlfriend
In a move to prove I’m not really that old I made two more trips to Home Depot to lug some more wall blocks up the back hill. I had to make two trips because I exhausted (again) the Worcester’s store supply of undamaged blocks and had to journey to Auburn to get the second load. I really like having the brother in law around to help me unload. Is it wrong I made the second trip because I was sure he would be there to help?

Third Wall Progress
The Panamanian ladies left for a supposedly short trip to the grocery store and were unheard of for hours. My brother in law and I both nodded sagely that the shopping elves had kidnapped out respective wives. My daughter confirmed this intel assessment during the FaceTime call. She had first contacted my wife’s phone and said by the looks of it my wife was definitely in a store but that it was certainly not a grocery store. I was able to make both trips to Home Depot and unload both sets of blocks hours before they returned. They showed up laughing with a complete set of Macy’s bags well into the evening. 









No comments:

Post a Comment