Friday, October 14, 2016

Sleep – Finally

Out for Lunch With Wingman Yesterday
It’s been such a long week on a number of fronts it shouldn’t surprise anyone that sleep has been a scarce commodity. It hasn’t been due to physical issues because I’ve been more tired than I can remember but I’ve had so many issues buzzing around the cranial spaces that true rest has been elusive. You add in the cold our Typhoid Mary of a granddaughter blessed nearly everyone who met her the past weekend with to complete the picture. Last night everything finally seemed a little more at peace and a full night’s sleep actually happened.
Part of that came from seeing my wife smile again for the first time all week as she seemed genuinely buoyed by putting her father’s passing in perspective. My own younger sister reached out to me last night as well. We don’t talk enough but I always love hearing from her. Her message of support was so welcome. I think I’m also coming to terms with my excellent boss’ departure. I had meetings yesterday with the head of the union and the chairman of the board. Both of the meetings went really well and I started to get excited about the challenges the new job holds for the future.
Helping Dad Pack
When she’s not infecting large swath of the East Coast with her first ever cold my granddaughter was flitting around Central Park yesterday taking part in her mother’s company walk against breast cancer. I’m told she charmed everybody who met her which surprises me on no level. They check out of the hotel today and she’s helping her dad by crawling into the suitcase and throwing all her dad’s shirts out to make room. The Boston Bruins also returned to the ice last night with a rousing win which will help fill the void between Patriots’ games.

Bruins Back
I was out to the movies again last night and took in Birth of a Nation. I had the entire theater to myself which was a shame because it’s a really well done movie. It chronicles the Nat Turner slave rebellion in antebellum Virginia. As with any historically based film it plays a little loose with facts but this is an important story that is very under-told (is that a word?). Nate Parker is a talented filmmaker whatever else his flaws may be. He doesn’t go for hyperbole on the institution of slavery he simply exposes the inherent evil. His slave-owner is shown to be a generally good man who is eventually consumed by the institution and swept into Turner’s rebellion. I liked the movie for what it says about the human spirit and individual worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment