Sunday, October 30, 2016

Keeping Up

Frozen Face Move
Yesterday certainly didn’t qualify as a Saturday although there was a disturbing amount of college football being played. I spent most of the day at the office monitoring the first day of operations since we moved all of our tech links to the servers at the new place. I find it constantly amazing at how dependent we’ve become in our everyday lives on technology. Customers expect certain things readily available without fully understating the cost and lack of agility that may create. It was a dreary, rainy day which kept me out of the yard as planned.
Costumed Music Class With Mom
I received my replacement kindle yesterday and was pleased to report to my daughter that I was able to set it up without any assistance from my imbedded technical squad (son and/or daughter). I’m not saying I did it as fast as either one of them would have but I recovered all the books I lost with the old one and am back in business. I also remotely erased the stolen IPad – I am getting scarily efficient although I continue to bemoan my absolute stupidity to have lost both items in the first place.
Helping Dad Wake Up
In reports from the west coast my granddaughter absolutely dominated her music class with her abuela provided duck costume. She went with a layered costume wearing a Great Aunt supplied undergarment. She’s also acquired, or better said inherited, one of her mother’s signature 1 year old expressions. We have a lot of pictures where my daughter would freeze her face with a startled expression that never failed to make everyone burst out in laughter. The First Blog Reader is now doing the same and it was yet another walk down memory lane to the time her mother was the same size she is now.
Since I had the evening to myself I checked out Keeping up With the Joneses which was just okay. It’s the typical plot where a suburban couple has a pair of super sexy secret agents move in across the street. You first have to accept that Zach Galifinakis could have ever scored Isla Fisher as a wife which does call for the suspension of a lot of disbelief. The women in this movie are so much better than the men. Gal Gadot is carving out a nice niche for herself as action hero and Fisher absolutely dominates a low cut dress. The rest of the silly plot was forgettable. I’d pass on this if you haven’t decided to see it yet.

Scene from Black Mirror
Entertainment values skyrocketed back home after a solitary dinner at the local 99. The new season on Black Mirror is up on Netflix and the first show was stunning. It featured a plot where today’s social media is taken to the next level and everybody is constantly rated and your social status, based on those ratings, is all encompassing. It follows a young woman whose precipitous fall is chronicled to its devastating conclusion. It was mesmerizing and rang so true when you see the millennials with their faces constantly buried in their smart phones. Is this what is next?
Keene Freind and I Last Year When We Snuck into PA to Celebrate with Pittsburgh Roommate
Pittsburgh Roommate celebrates his birthday today, probably still smarting from last week's spanking of the Steelers by the Patriots. We’ve known each other since the 6th grade and became good friends in high school culminating in rooming together for our sophomore year at college.  He lived along Spofford Lake and hosted some of the most epic parties of my youth.  I will forever remember navigating in the country black of night down to his beach by looking up to see the stars in the gap through the trees that marked the trail.  The party always ended up with a huge bonfire which allowed me to give full throat to my pyromaniac side.  The less said about the late night runs to Route 9 the better.  We share a love of beer, sports, and women clearly out of our league.  I’m proud to call him friend.






No comments:

Post a Comment