Saturday, August 6, 2016

Nameday

Daughter and Granddaughter Yesterday
Being around my wife the day before we host a party is not for the faint of heart. She was in full prep mode and was less than appreciative of the remarkably insightful suggestions I had following my celebrations of First Friday. I took counsel of my fears and went out to mow the lawn for the first time since we moved in. I think it’s a combination of a really poor lawn and the significant drought we’re in the middle of that combined to make it unnecessary so far. I got to use my new electric mower for the first time which I thought was courageous given my earlier beer intake. I did not run over the cord, although there were a couple of close calls, which I consider a win. My wife was performing her usual magic in the kitchen while doling out cleaning assignments to her work crew – yours truly. We had the Rio Olympics opening ceremony playing in the background and they looked spectacular. I’m still trying to figure out why they had Mrs. Tom Brady strutting across the field in a sheer gown for a really long time but I’m certainly not complaining. I ran out of gas around midnight and I think my wife finally declared victory and came to bed around 2:30 am. She is nothing if not driven. I’m now walking on egg shells around the house to insure I don’t disturb the pristine state she has created.
Again, No Complaints
Since we always have so much fun on Fridays together and we have this huge deck we’re going to host a series of parties this summer on Deckzilla. Today the first Saturday happy hour will involve people from work along with some steaks and beer (food of the gods, dontcha know!). There’s a huge thunderstorm coming through this afternoon (the leading edge is hitting now) but as much as I complain about meteorologists they’ve got some pretty cool tools nowadays. Twenty years ago we would have cancelled the party with this type forecast but now they can predict hour by hour and they say the storm will pass by a good two hours before we reach the line of departure. I just checked the radar (again so cool to have this available) and I think it’s time to go into our Buddy thunderstorm drill (see picture).

Buddy - Cage Now!

Wingman was in Stroudsburg, PA Last Night

Great Aunt and the First Blog Reader Yesterday
Finally, I’ve decided on a blogname for my elder sister. There were a number of very insightful suggestions, some would not pass the censor’s review, but I’ve decided on “Great Aunt”. She was actually named by my daughter at last year’s baby shower before the November debut of the First Blog Reader. My sister happily greeted my daughter at the shower with, “I’m so excited. I’m going to be a great aunt!”. My daughter, remembering those Cranston cupcake parties from the early 1990s and so many other experiences with this remarkable lady, immediately retorted, “But you’ve always been a “Great Aunt’”. So there you have it, Great Aunt and Soxfather continued their California visit yesterday and today will take in another Sox game at Dodger Stadium. My jealousy will be assuaged slightly this afternoon with a late afternoon on Deckzilla.
Playing Peek-a-Boo

And Loving It

Just Chillin at a Play Date








No comments:

Post a Comment