Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Frodrick Farewell

Wingman Reports a Surly Phase During Teething
Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Gene Wilder who starred in so many of the signature comedy films of the 1970s. I still laugh every single time I see his scenes with Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein even though I could recite the lines myself. This is almost like losing a friend since his greatest success took place just as I was coming of age myself. He was hugely underrated as an actor, as is the case with most comics. He held his own in a couple movies with Richard Pryor, no mean task. He also seemed like a genuinely nice guy who eschewed the “Hollywood” lifestyle to remain really well-grounded in life. So goodbye Willy, thanks for Blazing Saddles, the Producers, and so many other memorable times we spent together. True fans will understand the reference in the title of today’s blog post.
R.I.P.
I continued my backyard excavations last evening after work. I found the second day of digging with a sixty year old body is an entirely different proposition. My supervisor, Buddy the Wonder Pooch, took no prisoners though and insisted I persevere.  He even pitched in for about 17 seconds starting to dig at one end. I made fairly good progress just about doubling the size the trench. The next door neighbor came over to offer moral support and advice (don’t you love it when that happens). I should be to the end of the trench by the end of the week.
Buddy Inspecting My Progress at the End of the Day
I've Got to Reach the Short Stake in the Distance by the End of the Week
I did hear from my Favorite Panamanian who, after reading yesterday’s blog post, was not concerned about the physical toll the project was taking but was extremely interested in how much damage I’d done to the back of her car transporting the bricks. It’s called priorities, folks. I assured her that after considering my history in the area (which is admittedly not good) I had taken extra steps to insure the safety of her vehicle.

Photo of Condo Progress - Photo Taken From Water Line
Things continue to descend for her dad and I can tell how profoundly sad she is to see him in his current state. She called late in the evening as I was nursing some sore muscles while watching a movie in the man cave. I changed the channel to the Red Sox game and turned the IPad around so we could watch the game together. I think it made both of us feel a little less lonely. Old married couples are weird that way.







No comments:

Post a Comment