Thursday, August 18, 2016

Face to Face

Practicing her Scrunchy Face for the Upcoming Call
Last night I experienced a real treat. I’ve previously chronicled on Frail Deeds how much I enjoy our FaceTime calls with the First Blog Reader. It helps (in a very small way) to assuage the vast distance that separates us. Last night, for the first time, she was able to see us talking to her. My daughter, as vigilant a mother as I’ve ever seen, had scrupulously followed doctor’s orders by not allowing her to see video screens. Apparently there’s been some study that determined it wasn’t good for development for babies to see TV or computer screens.
Still In Hot Pursuit of Pee Wee
Pee Wee Considering Escape Options
On Wednesday they went to see the doctor for their regular checkup and the doctor said she could relax the restriction a little bit. I should also mention at this point (because I never miss a chance to brag on her) that my granddaughter had several shots and some blood drawn but didn’t cry once. I won’t highlight the fact she also peed on the scale while being weighed. Anyways last night we had that first video call where she could see where our dimly recalled voices were coming from. We were treated to several of her trademark ear to ear smiles as well as several “scrunchy faces”. I was feeling a little under the weather at the time and this helped so much. My granddaughter spent most of the call trying to get her hands on the IPad so she could either investigate how we fit in there or try to put it in her mouth. Either way I was completely and happily in thrall.
ABFA and Favorite Son Trying to Take Romantic Sunset Picture
After Beach Volleyball Last Night - Helped by Friend

Keene Friend 2 Strikes
In other, fairly momentous news, Keene Friend 2 has apparently decided to abandon bachelorhood and proposed to his longtime girlfriend. It’s been fun to watch this relationship blossom. They’re so good together. My wife and I, as well as Keene Friend 1, were sitting in Margarita’s many years ago shortly after I retired when Keene Friend 2 walked with his future wife on what I believe was their first date. I’m so very happy for both of them.
Future Husband and Wife

Two Views of New Living Room Setup

My wife’s living room redecoration reached its culminating point yesterday with the arrival of the new couch. I know I shouldn’t be surprised when she tries to explain to my style-stunted brain what she hopes to accomplish and I don’t get it. Yesterday was another example of just how talented she is, especially compared to me. The living room fits in with the rest of the house now. Something it failed to do until addressed by my very talented other half.

I knocked off the latest Corps Justice book by CG Cooper with Disavowed. Cal Stokes, Cooper’s stalwart hero, having solved the whole ISIS issue in the previous book is now sent to Afghanistan to rescue a former buddy who’s been abandoned by the CIA as a disavowed agent. Cooper once again does a fantastic job with the close combat action scenes and this book was genuinely hard to put down. 






No comments:

Post a Comment