Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Cidal Wave

Condo Progress
Alright, a little catchup after a couple days marking the anniversaries of assorted progeny. I love living in the new house, it already feels like home after searching for that elusive feeling for years in Charlton. We haven’t even hung all the pictures yet, so that’s a bold statement. I think it’s the man cave or maybe Deckzilla. My wife was actually out in Charlton yesterday and drove by the old house. This did nothing for her morale as she saw her once pristine (and vast) gardens choked with weeds; somethings are better left unseen.
Wingman in Nashville Last Night
My daughter has been immersed with end of month meetings for work and balancing single motherhood while Wingman pays his final respects to fans across the globe. I say this in way of explaining why we’re all going to have to suffer through another day without pictures of my granddaughter. My daughter is appropriately addressing work and her increasingly mobile daughter before finding time to provide the needed pictures. She’s promises some respite later today.

The Squad
For date night the wife and I took in Suicide Squad last night. I am seriously worried about the state of movie critics who have almost universally panned this anti-hero centric endeavor because I thought it truly rocked. There were engaging, if demented characters, and gallows humor generously laced throughout. The plot is a little thin but this is a superhero movie not Shakespeare and while the “heroes” aren’t generally admirable, they’re certainly watchable. Will Smith proves he’s remains a bona fide movie star while still being generous with the other actors in the ensemble. Harley Quinn wears the hell out of a pair of shorts as Margot Robbie continues her white hot streak. I thought the only miss was Joel Kinnaman as the supposedly good guy leader; he doesn’t have the screen presence to pull off the part, especially in this cast. Everyone else, and I mean everyone, was awesome. Don’t listen to the self-important gas bag critics, go see this rowdy, no holds barred excess of a flick. I loved it.
Aerial View of Condo
I received some more photos updating the progress on the construction for the condo down at Las Lajas, Panama. This included a photo showing what the view will be like from our balcony. I’m guessing forming an attachment to this second home will be as easy as the current home was. I’ll start taking reservations for friends that want to visit later this year.

What our View Will Be Like

The Surrounding Views



I knocked off my latest book from CG Cooper, National Burden, which was the first downer for me in the up to this point excellent Corps Justice series. Cooper abandoned his usual formula of relentless action for a thinly plotted political thriller. The good guys from the hero’s security firm are called upon to help the newly installed president deal with a series of crisis engineered by other politicians. It was like wandering through a morass to reach the satisfying conclusion when the good guys are finally allowed to clean up the mess but it took way too long to get there. I haven’t given up on Cooper though; I just hope he finds his way back to the formula from the first books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment