Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Best Weekend Ever Squared

My children took pity on their father and made it extremely easy to remember their wedding anniversaries since they got married on the same weekend, albeit five years apart.. Yesterday was Cali-Daughter and Wingman’s seventh anniversary while today the Favorite Son and ABFA celebrate their second. As always when these dates roll around I harken back to those two magical weekends which were dubbed, appropriately I might add, Best Weekend Ever and Best Weekend Ever 2.
Seems Like Yesterday They Were This Size
They're a Little Taller Now
Both days are so memorable for way too many reasons than I will ever be able to adequately describe. It’s difficult to capture the depth of emotions flying around both weekends. That’s the problem with true love. Books have been written about it, too many movies have tried to address it, hell wars have been fought over it, but you know it when you see it. I’ve been blessed to see it twice encompassing the two people I care more about than they’ll ever know, my daughter and son.
Daughter Walking Down Those Stairs

The Moment My Son Saw The ABFA

Looking Like This
I get way too sentimental when I think of those weekends. My daughter, the first moment I saw her in her wedding dress, walking down the stairs at our old house past pictures of her growing up. It was hard to reconcile this gorgeous and serene young lady was that little girl with spaghetti smeared over her face just a few (seemingly) years before. Likewise with her brother, I stood a few pews away from him at his wedding and marveled at the stalwart young man he’d become. Both of them share my sentimental streak as both my daughter and I struggled with emotions as I walked her down the aisle when we saw all the family and friends gathered to honor her and Wingman. My son struggled to control his own emotions that first moment he saw the ABFA float into view at the church. We’re such crybabies.
Walking My Daughter Down the Aisle and trying not to Cry
Much Happier on the Way Out

No Doubter

When You Know You Made the Right Decision

Reception Time!
Both receptions were events. The eclectic crowd at my daughter’s Sturbridge reception produced a fantastic party of non-stop dancing. My high school friends chasing me out the door thinking they had to support me as I chased off some intruding bikers at the same hotel for a conference. The following day’s brunch at the house only continued the non-stop fun.
My son’s reception was at a Nashua country club right up the street from my college sweetheart’s old home so memories were awash on a number of levels. We bused there from the hotel which turned into a party on both trips, including a hasty matrimonial service involving the Cantankerous Friend and one of the PanaGals. I was, again, on the verge of tears watching my son and wife perform their now legendary mother-son dance (like I said - cry baby). In both cases the receptions seemed to end in a blink of an eye even though they lasted the requisite hours and we had the wait staff hovering wondering when/if the party would ever end.

Watching Mother-Son Dance
For the two couples involved I hope the party never does end. Wedding ceremonies that are celebrated in such intrinsically enjoyable fashion have to be sure bets. A parent hopes their children find happiness in life and I will rest easy knowing each of mine found theirs in their spouses. Happy Anniversary Cali-Daughter, Wingman, Favorite Son and ABFA! There, just thinking about them and those weekends has raised the dust level that has me squinting at the keyboard.
Time to Party

Time to Party 2

Such a Great Days Thanks to my Expanded Family

No comments:

Post a Comment