Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Classic Lite, Proud Dad, and Frail Deeds Hiatus

She Now Thinks She Can Fly
After all my hand wringing yesterday about Buddy’s “Temperament Test” I couldn’t be prouder of the Wonder Pooch. He passed with flying colors. Anyone who has spent any time with him will understand my doubts. According to the young lady at the desk he spent most of his time lying in the corner and watching the younger dogs exhaust themselves running around. Sounds like what he tries to do with Remy and Riggins, unsuccessfully in each case since he’s the only game in town. My Favorite Son asked if I had laced his food with Nyquil. I hadn’t but wished I’d thought of that ahead of time.
The Surprisingly Star Pupil
Hollywood attempted to remake one of my favorite movies of all time which my wife and I took in last night. I tried to quell the prejudice I knew was present going in to see an attempt to remake what I consider a near perfect movie. It’s okay but a sad, very surface attempt when compared to the Heston version. The older movie was lofty for lack of a better term. Every actor seemed larger than life and the themes were iron clad. I’m guessing this newer version was aimed at today’s millennials with their much “grayer” interpretation of life. The central conflict with Messala is blurred and the eventual turning point is less convincing.
While some of the chariot race was entertaining its sad to reveal that they did it so much better in the 1950s with no CGI. Everything seemed a bit hurried with none of the texture the original was imbued with. Having Jesus with a beefed up role instead of the mysterious helper was a mistake. I guess today’s audiences have to have their faith spoon fed to them. I know I said I was trying to avoid being prejudicial but I’ve failed. You have to compare the two and this new version comes up far short. It’s very hurried and lacks any of the majesty of the 1959 version. Pass on this.
Best Buds
Now that we’ve obtained a home for Buddy for the next few days, we’re ready for a very hurried trip back to Panama. We fly in tomorrow, see my beloved Panamanian bureaucracy on Friday and, I fly back on Saturday. This will not be fun. The purpose of the trip is an interview so they can confirm my wife and I are actually married and not trying to scam them into giving me residence status. My Favorite Panamanian will be staying in country for a couple more weeks. When I fly back to Boston on Saturday she’ll fly up to David to spend time with her ailing father. That’s the proverbial silver lining, that she gets to see him as he deals with the latest health crisis. Buddy and I will get to work on my back hill project now that I can operate without supervision, always a dangerous situation, even on a level playing field.

Almost Ready to Walk
Since the visit is so quick and I’m trying to avoid the whole checked luggage scenario (see posts about our July trip) I’m traveling light. I won’t take my computer down with me so they’ll be no blog posting as I haven’t figured out how to do that from my IPad and I’m not sure I want to learn. You are welcome for this unexpected break from my nonsensical ramblings. I hope to be back up on the net on Sunday.  See you then.













No comments:

Post a Comment