Sunday, May 1, 2016

Bi-Coastal Bosox View

I survived the home inspection by potential new renters yesterday. Strange that I was more worried about the opinion of a certain young lady currently visiting the west coast than I was about the people looking at the house. It was strange because they live two houses down the street and two seconds into their visit they said this house has the exact same floorplan as theirs. They didn’t have a lot of questions and I fortunately prepared them for Buddy’s wolfen like reception when they passed by his cage.
Abuela and Granddaughter Bonding Session
Once that was over I didn’t want to get anything dirty because I spent so much time cleaning. This may explain some of my wife’s attitude towards me at times. Buddy immediately got to work smudging up the windows again as he re-established his overwatch positions (it’s what he doing right now). When I reported this to that far flung wife of mine she said I should clean up the initial slobber smears and then put saran wrap over the windows to protect them. Why does she get all these great ideas when she’s so far away.
Buddy Protecting Me (and smearing windows) While I Write
She and her granddaughter, in a surprise to no one who knows them both, have quickly reestablished their bond. I spent twenty minutes this morning watching and re-watching some videos of them interacting with each other yesterday. The second day of the great avocado eating experience didn’t go a lot better than the first. If she’s truly descended from me, she’s probably holding out for pizza. During our nightly FaceTime call last night my wife noticed I was watching the Red Sox-Yankee game. We, since she’s a huge baseball fan, always watch the games side by side it was another reminder of the distance between us. We solved this by turning the IPad around so she could watch the game with me (the advantage of a huge TV). We would then talk between innings. The battery on the IPad held up for the rest of the game and it did make me feel a little less lonely. My daughter could be seen in the background shaking her head at her sappy parents and their profligate use of the electromagnetic spectrum. After more than thirty years together, sappy is just fine. To make it a semi-perfect evening together the Sox blasted the hated Yankees 8-0.

Bi-Coastal Viewing

Still Not Liking the Avocado
Before the game I snuck out to see Hologram for the King starring my favorite actor – Tom Hanks. Hanks is back in amiable, everyman role he inherited from Jimmy Stewart and therefore impossible to dislike. He plays a down on his luck middle aged corporate sales executive on a last chance effort to sell new technology to the king of Saudi Arabia. The culture clash is inevitable and not used for just cute vignettes. I do remember it being a hell of a lot hotter than depicted here though.
Since it’s impossible for anybody to dislike Hanks he’s soon acquired a wide ranging gang of friends who mutually assist each other in self-discovery. I enjoyed this because it was an eloquent statement on the feeling if being disconnected in today’s society and the basic need for human connection to combat it. Of course, in my book, Hanks is incapable of making a bad movie (pay no attention to some of his early work).














No comments:

Post a Comment