Monday, May 2, 2016

Dueling Pot-roasts and Crawling to HBO Shocker

I culminated a very full, if solitary weekend yesterday with a pot roast showdown with my wife. Pot roast is my go to option when she’s out of town because all I do is buy the meat, put it in a slow cooker in the morning along with a couple of my wife’s seasoning cubes (she grinds up a bunch of vegetables and then freezes them), and hopefully remember to harvest the meat before I go to bed. Since I eat this all the time when she’s gone we rarely have it when she’s back. She seized on the opportunity to make one out on the left coast. I think she put a lot more effort into hers than I did. I laughed when she asked me how long I cook it and she was singularly unimpressed with the lack of culinary technique in my answer of “When it starts to fall apart.”
Please Mom, No More Avocado
We watched the Red Sox game together again although this time it was also broadcast in California. While I had the game on cable they were watching via streaming (whatever that means). The result was that my view was two minutes ahead of theirs which led to some very funny interactions as my wife tried to gauge what happened at critical points by my reactions. The Sox were very good viewing as they completed a sweep of the hated Yankees but some very serious concerns are starting to develop about their highly paid pitching acquisition, David Price. He’s still not right.
Gramma on Duty
Prior to all this was a very busy day running errands and the season debut of my power washer which I’d been “jonesing” to deploy. I power washed the deck, the house, the grill, and the front walk. Buddy eyed me nervously throughout. Thanks to the IT prowess of my children (Cali-daughter and the ABFA teaming up) I’m now connected to receive daily pictures of the  grandpuppy who’s apparently a fan of Monopoly. There were some huge developments on the west coast over the weekend as my granddaughter is thriving under the tutelage of the two special ladies she’s hanging with. She’s started crawling which will be bad news for the house cat and she also uttered her first word (at least that I’ve heard) and it was appropriately “Mama”. She is still not a fan of avocado and her three day experiment with that is over, it’s now on to apples.
Favorite Son and Riggins at Monopoly
Prior to Couch Potato duty I snuck out for another movie, Keanu, which really wasn’t in my wheelhouse. My daughter had a beloved kitten named Keanu who tragically died so I went to this movie about a kitten named Keanu in his honor. The plot revolves around the title character kitten who survives the opening credits drug massacre only to be adopted by a heartbroken, lonely dude. He and his cousin are drawn into gangland drug war when Keanu is subsequently kidnapped. I hadn’t been exposed to Key and Peele, the comedy duo, who portray the cousins so I probably missed some of the inside jokes. There are some very funny moments and I was more impressed with Peele than Key, who hasn’t met a line he’s not willing to go over the top for. The premise was absurd but that was the whole point – which is in my wheelhouse. The kitten was adorable and I’m a committed dog guy. This seemed more like an over long comedy sketch than a movie but lots of blood and swearing to blessedly keep the teeny boppers out.

Finally, if you haven’t seen last night’s episode of Game of Thrones, stop reading now. Of course in today’ social media soaked world you’ve probably already heard about the ultimate in shockers – Jon Snow lives! They certainly drew every last facet of suspense out of the situation ending the show with his corpse gasping for breath (along with the rest of us) after everyone else left. I can only hope this holds true for the long delayed books as well. George RR Martin’s last book also had Snow dying but with a conspicuously convenient Red Priestess nearby.
Just a Flesh Wound After All














No comments:

Post a Comment