Saturday, May 28, 2016

Brother Day

My Bro
One of the things about getting older is the shift to realize and appreciate the people life was kind enough to surround you with. I’m a lot more fortunate than many and a great deal of the credit for that goes to my brother in law. It’s his birthday today so probably a good time to brag on just how fortunate I am that he became part of my life back in the late 1970s. As with any boy growing up in a family with three sisters and no brothers I was more than ready to acquire a male sibling. It was worth the wait.
I'm Not Only One to Appreciate Him
I was returning to the USA for Christmas 1979 after a very tumultuous year in Germany. I’d broken off an engagement and fully expected to have to dodge hit squads on my return home. Instead I met the guy, accompanying my sister to the airport, who would turn out to be that long sought for brother. We hit it off immediately, mostly good naturedly picking on my sister. In the intervening years he’s come to mean so much to me and my family. I give him credit for saving my marriage when it went through a tough spell in the 1990s. He’s always there for me, for my family, and for his family. I can think of no better fate than having a true brother, regardless of bloodlines. Happy Birthday Big Guy!

Surrounded by the Panamanian Mafia
First Friday Yesterday
I convinced my wife to attend First Friday celebrations yesterday as we had a couple things to celebrate. There was a great turnout and the usual camaraderie that these gatherings are all about. Summer has arrived with no advance warning. I had to turn on the air conditioning today barely two weeks after turning off the heat for the last time, oh New England. I tried to beat the heat last evening by mowing the two lawns I’m now responsible for. The sellers hadn’t mowed in at least a month so the new house lawn was a bit of a challenge as the sun set. Today the moving starts, an incremental process that will probably have Buddy in high alert status since the first things to move will be the basement.









No comments:

Post a Comment