Thursday, May 12, 2016

Blinded and Endangered

Gramma and I Like to Hang Out
A very late post today because I had that weekly elixir of life – the meeting with the politicos consuming most of the morning. My daughter was once again remiss in posting granddaughter pictures but I think that’s a case of her having the day off, not having to get up at the crack of dawn in L.A. to work New York hours. If that’s the cause then I’m glad she didn’t. You on the other hand, will have to wait until after lunch to bask in her reflected glory. She'll see Wingman again today (hence the day off) as his farewell tour wends it way through L.A. after playing last night in Disneyland in nearby Anaheim. As an added bonus, my grandpuppy Riggins makes a return today, so a double dose of saccharine.(LUNCH UPDATE: Photos added below)
Wingman and the Band Last Night
The lady who runs our complementary service for the disabled also grabbed me for a quick exercise this morning. She had a set of goggles which replicated the different experiences of people who are legally blind. Once I put them on I was then asked to perform some routine tasks like running a microwave and negotiating elevators. It was very illuminating (poor choice of words there). Losing or even degrading eyesight is one of my worst fears (that and having my wife P.O.ed at me). I’m always amazed at the ability of people to overcome disabilities; to think someone has to go through life with such a limited view is scary. I think the lady running the experience was a little disappointed in how well I did, especially after my excellent boss did so poorly in the same exercise. I guess all those infantry years walking through the woods in the dark paid off.
I’ve reached the penultimate book in my Joe Pickett ride with Endangered by CJ Box, which I finished yesterday. Joe and his friend Nate will soon join the ranks of heroes I’m monitoring, anxiously waiting for the next book to come out. In this one Joe’s adopted daughter, having run off with a rodeo star at the end of the last book, is found beaten and near death beside the road. A psychotic backwoods lady, mother of the rodeo star, and her equally slope-headed family embark on an evil plan of destruction that draws Nate into the fray. This one was a real page turner as Joe and Nate couldn’t seem to catch any breaks leading up to the eventual confrontation. As always Box provides Joe with the everyman humility and righteousness that sees him and his family through yet another crisis. If you haven’t discovered Joe Pickett yet, do yourself a favor.

Here are some of Box’s words as Joe is getting sewed up in a Montana emergency room by a condescending Pakistani doctor:  “After the doctor confirmed that Joe hadn’t had a concussion, he peeled off his gloves and said, “You look like you’ll make it, but you’ll probably have a pretty good scar.” Joe nodded. “We’re required to report bullet wounds.” “Go ahead,” said Joe, “but I think they’ve got that part covered back in Wyoming.” “You people shoot each other a lot, don’t you?” the doctor said with disdain. “Not really.” “Don’t you all have guns?” “Yup. So do you folks in Montana.” “I’m from Islamabad, Pakistan,” the doctor said. “Ah, that peaceful place.”




















No comments:

Post a Comment