Friday, May 13, 2016

Wanderlust Lacking

The First Blog Reader had an exciting day out on the left coast. Her dad, Wingman, was in town as his band was playing their Farewell Tour date in Los Angeles last night. I was on a FaceTime call with her grandmother and caught them on the tour bus as my granddaughter was being introduced to the band. She was very coquettish with the lead singer. Maybe there is some credence to the theory about girls and rock stars (heaven knows it’s in her blood).
Wingman (on the floor) and the Band in L.A. Last Night
I had yet another run down to Rhode Island last night since my sister and brother in law will be Buddy-sitting over the weekend. I’ll be traveling to Charlotte, North Carolina for a transit convention. I’ve successfully dodged them in all prior years but inevitability raised its ugly head recently. This is strange because I used to seek out opportunities to travel. It’s one of the reasons I ended up in the Army. I actually chose an assignment in the Army over another because the chosen one offered more opportunities for travel. I guess the years have eroded that urge, at least on the business travel side, because I’m decidedly blasĂ© about this trip. I will however get the chance to see how well policed the rest rooms in North Carolina are; so there’s that.
Buddy and Remy Checking out the New Cage
Leisure travel is a completely different story. If I can travel on my own terms and do what I want – the old compulsion is still as strong as ever. The travel to Rhode Island did allow me to spend some time with those two august personalities as well as “suffer” the indignity of dog avalanches. As we watched the Red Sox pummel yet another opponent, I was reminded of the times in the early 1990s when I lived only a couple streets away and would invariably stop by their house to watch Cheers on my way home after evening master’s degree classes at Providence College. They were the best of days.
Buddy re-Living His Past
Buddy and his lab cousin Remy quickly re-established their bond (more on Remy’s side) while non-lab Bailey (the grouchy old lady) stared disapprovingly at their antics. Buddy must have been channeling some old memories because Remy’s new cage is exactly what Buddy had as a young dog (until he destroyed it trying to escape). When they weren’t plummeting all over me on the couch Buddy would sneak into the cage. It was kind of poignant (I know – weird).

I’ve got an early morning flight out of Boston tomorrow so the return of Frail Deeds will depend on the efficacy of the hotel’s WiFi. You can expect detailed reports on any transgendering intrusions detected.


















No comments:

Post a Comment