Sunday, May 29, 2016

Heated Move and Imminent Granddaughter

Making Her East Coast Debut Today
I was trying to remember the last time I was as totally gassed as I was last night and then I remembered the household move from last year. Yesterday saw the start of the move across the street to the new house. My luck remained painfully consistent as it was the hottest day for the year with temperatures in the high 90s as well as some truly invigorating humidity. My goal was to move all of the long term storage times from the basement. This involved loading them in the back of my wife’s SUV and motoring across the street to unload and then pack it down into the new basement. My back held up very well but I was absolutely exhausted by the time the sun set 11 car loads later.
Thermometer Yesterday at Height of Move

Wife Starting out on Lavender Room
Meanwhile my Favorite Panamanian was hard at work painting two of the bed rooms. These were the prior owner’s kids’ rooms and the whole lavender look wasn’t what we needed. She taped off both rooms and finished the lavender room by the time I reached my culminating point with the hard labor. I offered to help but she opined that in my current state I wouldn’t be much help since the work required a careful hand. I was permitted to tape the other bedroom but not allowed anywhere near any paint.
The Final Product
The next door Mafiosos invited us over for steaks and beer having witnessed our fun afternoon in the heat. It was the perfect medicinal break from our labors, especially since we got to spend it with the friends that more than any other factor influenced us to stay in Worcester. They were possibly the best cold beers I’ve ever had. My middle aged body decided to remind me of its advanced age and protest the abuse it had undergone. While seated at the table I got a very painful muscle cramp deep in my thigh. When I tried to stretch it out, my arm started cramping, comical if painful.
Next Door with the Mafiosos
I thought this was the end of the day but my wife had other ideas. She borrowed the Mafiosos’ carpet cleaning machine and directed me to clean the carpets in our current home while she headed back for bedroom two. The carpet cleaning is very important because the most important event for today (and many other days) is the arrival this afternoon of my daughter and granddaughter for an extended stay and the crawl spaces for the First Blog Reader had to be sanitized. Buddy doesn’t realize he’s been in the living room for possibly the last time. So that was a lot of fun as I finished the carpets around 10pm.
Late Last Night in the Second Bedroom
I journeyed across the street and found my Favorite Panamanian hard at work in the second bedroom. She told me to go home and watch television but I demurred. I wasn’t going to leave her alone in an empty house working while I crashed on the couch. It was tempting though. I stretched out on the floor and occasionally offered pearls of wisdom which were greeted with as much enthusiasm as I’m sure you can imagine. We finally locked up and headed home around midnight with both rooms fully painted, two down, three more to go.

The highly anticipated arrival of the California contingent will dictate a break from most of our labors as the commander in chief shifts mode to mother/grandmother duties (although she is making noises about trying to sneak in another painted room today). My Favorite Son and the ABFA are also arriving today so we’ll have the whole family together (minus Wingman) for the first time since Panama. Life is good. 







No comments:

Post a Comment