Sunday, May 15, 2016

Wanderlust Returns

So I guess I was a little premature about the whole not liking to travel as much anymore. I’m having a very good time down in the sunny deep South. I’ve traveled through Charlotte a number of times over the years; usually driving from Georgia back to New England early in my military career. This is the first time I’ve spent any time here and I am truly impressed. I’m in the Westin hotel right in the middle of town and there’s a lot to do within a short walk.
Also Spoke with this Fascinating Young Lady Yesterday
The travel down here was uneventful, huge kudos to the lady who made the travel arrangements (she booked the extra room seats on Jet Blue). I even resurrected my Starwood Preferred Guest status when we arrived at the Westin. It was tough remembering which address, email, and phone number I used when I created it but the very nice young lady at the front desk figured it out. I’m up the fifteenth floor with a panoramic view of the interstate highway and the Panthers’ football stadium
Views from my Room

After a quick walkabout to locate possible watering holes (successfully) my excellent boss and I caught a bus out to watch the international bus rodeo championships. I run the local one and had never seen one run by professionals. I was happy to see I wasn’t far off the standards they were keeping. Thank God the Army taught me how to read directions. I sent my wife the picture below of a sign directing ladies to some sort of shopping experience. When I talked to her later she asked why I didn’t go in to check it out, I laughed for a full five minutes.
The Bus Rodeo

The Funny Sign
We returned to the hotel and redeemed the value of our earlier reconnaissance. The first bar we walked into, The Carolina Ale House, had the Red Sox playing on several screens. We took up station next to some other dispossessed Boston fans and reveled in yet another chapter of the living legend David Ortiz. He tied the game with two outs in the 9th inning and then won it in his next at bat. Our small section of the bar went crazy. My excellent boss’ old nemesis, the former political boss, entered at some point. He now works as a salesman for a firm trying to sell us products so his entire demeanor has changed. He even picked up our entire tab. Maybe not such a bad guy after all.

Watching the Sox at the Ale House
Ale House in Foreground with the Steak House in the Distance
Both a Short Stumble I mean Walk from the Hotel

Wingman was in San Diego Last Night with a Few Freinds
A couple bars later we linked up with another old friend of the excellent boss who treated us to dinner at Flemings Steak House. This was potentially the best prime rib I’ve ever tasted, maybe because it was free. I’m kind getting used to this whole wined (beered) and dined aspects of private industry. Of course it could be more startling ebullient personality engendering all the free food and drinks but I’m more realistic than that.





No comments:

Post a Comment