Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sixth Mensiversary

Today my completely remarkable granddaughter is celebrating her first six months of existence. I’m guessing that is why I did not get my daily dose of dozens of pictures from which to choose and share with you. Well there’s that and the arrival yesterday of Wingman from his tour which finally hit Los Angeles. I’m sure the Glendale folks have a lot better things to do than spend time on their computers. If they do show up later today, I’ll add some more in.
2 Reasons to Celebrate - 6 Months and Daddy's Back!
I’m still a little put out though as it has become part of my daily breakfast routine (and certainly the most entertaining part) to view the photos.  During our FaceTime calls yesterday I could see how happy the First Blog Reader was that her dad had returned. He in turn was amazed at the changes in the short time he’s been gone. If there were any doubts about giving up life on the road as a rock star, they were thoroughly squashed by my very capable granddaughter yesterday. She has that effect on you.
Still Loves Hanging with Gramma
For those of you wondering about the whole “Mensiversary” in the title, I couldn’t call it a six month anniversary because that requires an entire year; the “anno” means year. Harking back to my high school Latin (Mrs. Galloway!) the word for month is “mense” and I just added that to whatever the hell “versary” means. I know it doesn’t sound all that cool but I’m a grandfather now and that’s no longer required.
Perfecting her Jabba the Hut Impression
We received some new photos from our condo construction down in Panama. They’ve reached the fourth floor, one floor above ours and will start putting the roof on shortly. That’s remarkable progress from where they were back in February. One of the photos actually shows the bones of our future apartment and another has what the view will be like from our third floor place. This has the retirement bells tingling.
Our Future Condo

Work on the Fourth Floor

What the View Will be Like from our Balcony
I went to get my annual dose of Marvel excellence yesterday with Captain America Civil War. As the title suggests this one has the long simmering rivalry between the stalwart Captain America and the narcissistic Iron Man finally flower into full-fledged war. The point of contention is turning authority over the Avengers to the United Nations. The plot was kind of dumb, I mean who in their right mind would grant any real authority to that benighted organization? At the same time we have super heroes zooming around, spells being cast, and 100 year old soldiers so suspending disbelief shouldn’t be that hard.

Marvel does what they do best. They give heart and depth to these comic book icons and make even semi-believers care. There’s also non-stop action along with an examination of the repercussions of all their prior city busting exploits. The conflict seems forced as none of them truly hate each other but it does lead to a lively, if very crowded confrontation. The nicest surprise is the introduction of Spiderman which they’ve finally figured out, returning to his comic book personae. So a really, good, movie but that’s what you’ve come to expect when this bunch gets together.
UPDATE:  Photos showed up at lunch time, include WIngman's reception when he arrived and the continued solid food effort: 










No comments:

Post a Comment