Friday, May 20, 2016

Construction Phased and Storm Dodging

These Two Are Going to Miss Each Other Next Week
Back in the warm embrace of Worcester I devoted myself yesterday to preparing for the Massachusetts debut of the First Blog Reader next week. She’ll follow her grandmother home a couple days after my wife arrives. In preparation for the visit of this august personality my wife charged me with constructing (assembling) a portable crib/playpen/bassinet/changing table. Since I usually, and completely unfathomably, enjoy this type assembling I was actually a little excited about it. I opened the box and seemingly thousands (a gross exaggeration) of parts cascaded out. While nothing is beyond the pale when preparing a place for my granddaughter, this did not look like fun.
My Construction Projects

It turned out that to morph into its many incarnations there were a lot of needed pieces, all of them already assembled. I still took full credit for the intricate (incredibly simple) assembly when I spoke with the three California lasses. There was no way I was going to fool them about the IKEA baby chair though. That took all of thirty seconds, at least until I reached the inflatable pillow part. I nearly blew out veins in my head trying to blow the damned thing up while my wife watched via FaceTime trying to hide her amusement. Ever helpful, IKEA included but deftly hid an explanation of where the nozzle had to be pressured to inflate easily. That did nothing to help the headache my early efforts had produced.
Wingman was in Houston Last Night
Returning to my office after a few days chasing free beer down in Charlotte was every bit as fun as could be imagined. We started the day with a board meeting with the insufferable politician in full flower. He was actually quoted in the newspaper after last month’s meeting so he was in full voice, especially when he noted the entrance of a reporter and one of the leading Voices of Inappropriate Worth. Free beer must always be paid for.
Doctor's Appointment Yesterday - 3 More Shots But Still a Trooper
Buddy Advising me of the Approaching Weather

And Eventually Calming Down - Although my Ankles Did Fall Asleep
Buddy did everything in his power to lift my spirits when I came home. Those efforts were quelled when a late day thunderstorm blew through which brought on the requisite panic attack. I put him on the leash which required he stay at my side instead of wreaking his usual havoc in the basement. He eventually went to sleep with his head on my feet which severely impacted bathroom breaks from certain quarters. We watched the movie Room together although I think I got more out of it than he did.

If you haven’t seen this movie consider yourself cheated. Brie Larson more than earned her academy award playing a young mother being held prisoner with her young son, the product of her captor. The strength she relies on in the room is challenged when the situation changes. The young actor portraying her son, Jacob Tremblay, deserved an Oscar himself. This was definitely not my usual, high octane fare but a very insightful experience with truly riveting performances.












No comments:

Post a Comment