Friday, May 6, 2016

Canine-ing

My Wife, Honest
Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time knows that I am firmly in the dog camp when it comes to pet ownership. I can tolerate cats but dogs will forever hold a special place in my heart. Well at least until I saw this picture sent to me from California. Apparently the ladies out there, despite the best efforts of a very determined six month old, were bored enough to play around with an “app” that allowed them to doctor a photo of my wife. There were several others, including one which added several hundred pounds to her petite frame. I was expressly forbidden from putting any on the photos on the blog but what the hell, they’re a full continent away and I’m feeling like a Frisky Friday. I am not brave enough to put the extra weight one, some things you never recover from.
Wingman, Far Right, Last Night in Portland
Wingman started his farewell tour last night in Portland, Oregon. I know this will be painful for him but not as painful as being away from my granddaughter. Speaking of the First Blog Reader, with her increased mobility they had to expand her floor mat area. She soon escaped that environment in hot pursuit of the cat, who’s days of quiet contemplation are numbered. They’re still struggling to get her to take a bottle but when she was sitting in her mother’s lap yesterday she commandeered her mother’s water glass for a couple sips. Maybe she’s going to skip the whole bottle phase and move straight to cups.
Grabbing her Mother's Water Glass
In other in-law news, the ABFA was sporting Cinco de Mayo garb at the office yesterday. That’s all I know. I see her husband tomorrow who’s going to break away from Riggins long enough to finally come down to police up his Christmas gift and the odd washer and dryer we’re giving them.
The ABFA at Work Yesterday
No movies last night as I watched another Red Sox game while FaceTiming the screen to my wife in Los Angeles, oddly comforting for some reason. I did finish the latest Joe Pickett (sort of) book by CJ Box, titled Shots Fired. This was actually a collection of Box short stories which I usually avoid except by favorite authors, which Box now certainly qualifies for. Only a few of the stories featured Joe but they were very entertaining. The reader is once again thrust into the Wyoming setting with several, wide ranging stories, including one with old friend Nate Romanowski.

I am always amazed at the facility of good writers to transport readers and Box is one of the best. Not surprisingly I was really touched by one story about an aging grandfather who spends the morning fishing with his granddaughter who is the only one in her family that appreciates spending time with him. He teaches her a special fly fishing knot called a blood knot. The rest of the family only comes to visit under the obligation that he is rich and dying and hope to inherit his lodge. Here are some Box’s words from the short story “Blood Knot”, from the Shots Fired:  “After landing the rainbow trout – it looked metallic and beautiful in the morning sun – she released it back into the water. She was thrilled, and when she stood up he slipped his fishing vest over her narrow shoulders. “It’s yours,” he said. “The rod, too. Now catch another one.” As they walked back to the lodge at midmorning, her parents were out on the deck drinking coffee in their robes. They looked disheveled. Her brothers weren’t to be seen. Her grandfather said, “The lodge needs to be stained every five years. The decks need to be painted every three. All the paperwork is in my desk.” She stopped and squinted at him. “The keys are in the pocket of the vest, he said. “Maybe your mom and dad will come visit you once a year.” Hattie realized what was happening, but she couldn’t speak. Her eyes stung with tears. “It’s not about blood,” he said, brushing her cheek with the back of his hand. “It’s about the knot.”
Riggins Waiting for Someone to Come into the "Magic Room"

Now I know She's Descended from me - Straight to the Movie rack

Yeah, I'm Cute

Checking out the Expanded Play Area with Gramma

Good Choice, If a Little Dark

Target Acquired

Hot Pursuit

Still Not a Fan of Solid Food




No comments:

Post a Comment