Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wednesday Recalled

Go See this!
Yesterday I spent part of the morning refereeing the interchange between my wife and the plumber who was replacing our kitchen faucet.  My wife has a tendency to be extremely tough on service people and a small town plumber was not the type to back down, so that was fun.  Our kitchen faucet had been leaking for a least a couple of years and a few months ago we discovered that it had virtually ruined the floor of the cabinet underneath the sink.  The plumber came in and tried to fix the faucet but recommended we replace it because it was not one he recommended.  Since my wife had specifically chosen this faucet she felt disrespected and asked him to repair it.  Two hours after he left it started leaking again and my wife demanded that I call him.  I did and he explained the issues and recommended we replace the faucet and also offered to repair the cabinet floor for a reasonable price – again a small town plumber – not one of the franchise types.  Yesterday he showed up right on time and quickly accomplished the work and my wife was a little miffed because, well I don’t know why.  We have a new faucet that doesn’t leak and the floor was repaired.  My quest to understand the woman I am married to continues.  I finished the big project my boss gave me last week.  He was surprised (he had given me a couple weeks to get it done) when I showed him a draft asking for his comments and said this is ready to show to the board at Thursday’s meeting.  Not what I was hoping for in the way of comments because it doesn’t allow me to fine tune it but he’s the boss.  Victimized by my own success I guess.  Last night for date night and we went to see the remake of Total Recall.  I did not have high expectations for this because I loved the original Verhoeven version, even though it included the acting chops of the Governator.  I’m also not a huge fan of Colin Farrell (I mean have you seen Alexander) but it did include Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale so there was no way I was missing this movie.  I was totally blown away by the film.  Instead of rehashing the same story of the earlier film they went in a new direction with incredibly realistic special effects that were over the top.  The story was completely new with the same character names and there were several odes to the old movie, some more obvious than others, which I always like.  I can’t wait for the blu ray to come out and then watch both films to catch even more.  I love it when a movie surprises me and Total Recall did.  All three leads were at the top of their game, especially Beckinsale who proves she doesn’t need to wear spandex to be dangerous.  I even liked Farrell who took his character in a completely new direction from Arnold which I liked.  This was a good flick which I wholeheartedly recommend.  I also finished my latest Raymond Feist book, At the Gates of Darkness, which is setting the stage to end the Midkemia phase of Feist’s literary efforts.  Feist is a very good writer who’s efforts I have truly enjoyed but it’s obvious this set of characters are winding down.  I give him credit for setting a stage for loyal readers to say goodbye to this milieu but you can see that it’s time.  His problem is finding a situation desperate enough for the hero to go out on.  In the series before this one the hero literally pulled the moon out of the sky to destroy a world lost to evil.  A hard act to follow, should be fun. 
The New and Apparently Controversial Faucet



No comments:

Post a Comment