Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ferocity

Buddy's Near Suicidal Greeting
The #1 son made the generous effort yesterday of coming home to spend the night with his parents.  I know he missed spending time with the Most Excellent Girlfriend but both his mother and I appreciated to finally have some quiet time with him.  Since his return from Central Asia we’ve only seen him in social settings where either he or we had to deal with competing interactions.  We had planned on going to the movies but he (of all people) suggested a calm night at home to just relax and enjoy each other’s company – one cool dude.  I was impressed over the days leading up to his arrival at the frantic efforts of my wife to prepare things for him.  She does this whenever my son or daughter come to visit.  She has this deep abiding, ferocious love for these two and always has.  I’ve been awed at times at just how much she does.  She’s the kind of person that doesn’t seek out praise or recognition for her efforts so at times some of the efforts go unrecognized which is a shame because she does the same thing for me and I’m the biggest culprit in the non-recognition arena.  I know the “kids” balk at times at her ferocity but they also understand how deeply she cares about them.  We’ve all heard about the pervasive quality of a mother’s love for her children, an instinctual need to care for her offspring.  I’ve been honored to witness an almost perfect example of this for nearly thirty years and, as I said, I am in complete awe.  She completely subjugates her own self to insuring she does whatever her children need, even if the children in question don’t always understand the need.  I would hate to be the person who was trying to harm either of these two.  Buddy was also extremely glad to see the son although he almost throttled himself during his enthusiastic greeting.  He launched himself at my son and got entangled in the carrying strap for his computer case.  On the reading front, Amazon’s recommendation software got me again a couple days ago when I bought a Reacher short story called, “Deep Down”.  It was a story about Reacher when he was still in the Army and chasing a Soviet mole.  I liked the fact that the bad guys in this one were Army congressional liaison officers who in real life I found were always a little full of themselves – just as portrayed in the story.  It was nice to get a short dose of Reacher while I wait for his next full length novel which doesn’t come out for another month.  Last night was such a fun time.  As I said, my wife went overboard in preparing my son’s favorite things and that included the food.  Luckily my own preferences align very closely with his but my wife’s strict control of my diet usually prevents my indulgence.  Last night’s menu included frosted sugar cookies and a chocolate pie – gotta love that ferocity.   
The Ferocious One Monitoring Her Son's Meal Last Night
Note Sugar Cookies Conveniently Located Near My Seat
Nice, All Too Quick Read

No comments:

Post a Comment