Saturday, August 11, 2012

Recruiting Trip

My Wife and I with the New Recruit
Yesterday was a quiet day at work but that changed immediately when I got home.  We were heading over to my cousin’s house for a going away party for his daughter who is entering the Army (Hoo Ahh!) in a couple of weeks.  There was a very large thunderstorm passing over so Buddy the Pendejo was in high alert mode.  My wife had heard there was a tornado warning somewhere in Massachusetts so she was concerned about driving.  Anytime she hears this type thing she starts to panic.  She claims it comes from our time living in Kansas where tornadoes were a very real problem.  Before we left Buddy had to be secured and he was dumb enough to demonstrate his escape technique before we left.  I found him half in and half out of the door.  We activated an old cage from the reserve.  It was last used a couple years ago when Buddy’s predecessor passed on.  It’s a lot more secure and Buddy was not pleased with his new home.  My wife continued to fret as we made our way through the deluge to the party.  She even called our son to get a weather report enroute.  The party was a lot of fun and I was even recruited to carve a turkey – one of my hidden talents.  We spent most of the evening out in the garage sitting around a table with my cousin and his collection of great friends.  My wife and I really enjoy these times because of these friends.  My cousin has lived all his life in the same town and this group of really nice people has coalesced around him and his wife and they make us feel welcome every time we join them.  I also spent a little time with the new recruit where I tried to give her an idea of what she would be facing but it’s a little tough since it’s been more than thirty years since I went through basic training and the Army is blessedly more professional now than it was in 1978.  Recruiters now apparently do a much better job than they did in my day because she was doing PT three times a week with other recruits in her home town.  She seemed ready to go and was actually impatient to get going – a good sign.  My wife drove home, of course, while I made several phone calls to a friend to leave messages, at least I think I did.  It was a very good time.
Buddy Unhappily Secured!
My Cousin and I
Gag Gift - Army Panties
My Wife at the Party Table

No comments:

Post a Comment