Friday, August 17, 2012

Death Penalty



Anybody who’s read this blog know about my adventures with Sears, a company I used to have a lot of respect for.  I’ve been a Sears card carrier for over twenty years and have gone out of my way to buy their products, especially large ticket items like major appliances.  I had a really bad experience with the repair of my lawn tractor and I mentioned that in the blog.  A few days later I was contacted by a Sears representative who apologized for my experience and offered to help.  I was incredibly impressed and this kind of renewed my faith in Sears.  I was passed off to a “case manager” who did contact me once and after I explained the situation he promised to ensure everything was taken care of.  Apparently these guys have no authority whatsoever because the situation just got worse from that point.  I sent the following email to the case manager and his boss a couple of weeks ago and have yet to get a response:

“HELP!!!!   I am about as frustrated as is humanly possible with Sears, a company I heretofore held in high esteem.  This saga started back on June 13 when the sears tech arrived to repair and service my craftsman tractor.  I took a half day off from work and the sears tech charged $129 for the service to my sears card. He couldn't do the service because he needed to order parts.  I took another half day off from work on June 22 but the tech said the wrong parts were sent and he still couldn't do the service.  He returned on June 26 (another half day off from work for me) and finally did the service and made the repairs even though the wrong parts were still sent.  He bent a part back into shape to get it to work.   He charged me an additional $40, crediting me with the $129 I paid on the first visit, which I later learned was because the offer for $129 service had expired (why was this my fault?)  I paid the $40 with my visa card just to get rid of him and get back to work, thinking I was finally done.  While out of the house on the 4th of July a message was left on my home phone stating the visa transaction had not gone through and Sears was going to bill me the full $169!!!  The bill has arrived and I have tried calling the Sears National Support Center, where the bill originated, no less than 17 times and keep getting a message that no one is available, to call back and then get hung up on.  I called the Sears Service line and was kept on hold for more than 12 minutes before I gave up.  I have all the paperwork to prove this is not a valid charge but I can't get anyone at Sears to talk with me.  Should I take this to the local Sears store?

I have a blog where I noted some of my frustration and was contacted by Sears which I thought was pretty cool.  I laid out this entire case to the manager I spoke with, J** C****, but absolutely nothing has happened.  I emailed a copy of the direct bill to your office and left several phone messages but again nothing has happened.  I have never been this frustrated with a company before.  Please let me know how I can resolve this.”

You would think someone in the customer satisfaction arena would see this email and take some sort of action -  NOTHING.  I finally did get through to the National Support Center on my 32d try, imagine my surprise.  I spoke with a totally disinterested lady who tried really hard to not understand what I was trying to explain to her.  I eventually got her to agree I should send the $40 (which I still don’t think I owe) along with photocopies of the receipts that prove they were in error.  I’ll let you know if that works.  As you can probably tell I am intensely disappointed with this experience and there seemed to be an institutional norm that made this attempt to fix something they did wrong as painful as possible.  I can only imagine people with fewer resources than I have faced with the same dilemma.  Sears customer service is just flat broke and I am finished with them.  My wife and I are burning our Sears cards and I am cancelling our Sears account.  If the Sears guy that trolls the blogs to find comments on Sears sees this please do not contact me, I have absolutely no faith in you.  Please don’t punish the case manager because this problem obviously goes much higher than him because he was not empowered to fix a relatively minor problem.  If anything my experience demonstrated that this is a problem that permeates all levels of a company that seems to have lost the ability to coordinate within their organization and certainly with their customers; kind of sad really. 

In better news the road in front of the house did get its base of asphalt laid yesterday so I no longer have a moat at the bottom of my driveway.  I was beginning to like it though and had designed a portcullis and drawbridge which would have been extremely cool.  My wife is intensely reading 50 Shades of Gray which is kind of interesting because she didn’t realize all of the hype surrounding it.  She has also downloaded an app for her I-Phone that allows her to translate English words she doesn’t understand into Spanish, color me impressed.  I think I’ll know when she gets to the good parts.
The Road Returns
The Moat Is Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment