Monday, August 27, 2012

Time at a Premium

Dammit!
Yesterday was tough because we had to put our daughter and son in law back on the train to New York City.  It always seems like their visits end too quickly and that was certainly the case this weekend.  We definitely accomplished a lot but their visits always leave me wanting more; they are that much fun to be a round.  There is a certain light around the house when they or my son are present for a weekend.  I can remember visiting my maternal grandmother’s house for a week every summer and not wanting to come home because she made me feel so special.  I had that same feeling this past weekend.  They have their own, extremely full, lives in New York and they go through a lot in getting to New Haven via the public transit system so I really appreciate it when they make the effort to lift my spirits as only they can.  I’m left with the craving to stop time for a couple of weeks so we can each get off the whirlwind of our normal lives and just spend that time together. (Note to self:  get to work on time interruption machine)  There always seems to be a bunch of things we hoped to accomplish over the weekend that get consumed by other, competing demands on our time.  After a somewhat wild ride to the train station (full into the John P. Madbastard mode) where some of the Connecticut traffic laws may have been slightly fractured, my daughter and son in law had an hour to wait for the train and seemed a little bit pleased with that.  They had already scoped out a place to hang out for the hour and I got the impression they were looking forward to it a little bit.  He’s a touring musician and they a have a roommate in the NYC apartment so I think they really look forward to the rare alone times they can grab.  Knowing that they were going to have some of that uncommon commodity took away a little bit of the profound melancholy of having to leave them, but not a lot.  Before they left we did take the time to check out a movie, Premium Rush, at the fabulously located local Cinemagic Theater.  This was a film about New York City bike messengers that my daughter wanted to see because of the NYC setting and Joseph Gordon Leavitt.  Leavitt has turned into a really good actor and he handles the action of this movie with aplomb.  The bad guy is Michael Shannon who does creepy really well.  The love interest is Dania Ramirez who was the only thing watchable in the last couple seasons of Entourage and continues to be extremely interesting in this (I have a well documented weakness for Latinas).  I asked my daughter if the wild bicycle riding shown in the movie was accurate.  She said that she had never seen anything like that but that you learn in NYC to look out when crossing streets not only for cars but also for the seemingly possessed bike messengers as well.  I really enjoyed the movie which had us jumping in our seats with all the near misses as the bikes careened through the streets of Manhattan.  The real premium was the time we got to spend with two very special people before they had to careen back to Manhattan themselves.
Good Flick

No comments:

Post a Comment