Saturday, August 4, 2012

Friday Cool Down

My boss returned from his time off following his daughter’s wedding and I felt good that he found everything in top shape.  He did come to my office and almost apologetically laid a huge project on me that needs to be done in a couple of weeks.  I loved it because things were getting a little boring and being this busy will help the time fly at work.  It involves creating this very complicated spread sheet and tying in cost estimates for different bus routes.  I would not have been able to do this when I first got out of the Army.  I would have just sent it to a subordinate and explain what I needed.  One of the things I really enjoy about my post military life is getting to do these kinds of things.  I’m pretty much self–taught on the computer and I always learn something new when I do one of these things, so I’m a little psyched.  For the first time since May my wife and I have no event to prepare for this weekend and yesterday was appropriately calm in preparation for that.  I needed to get home right after work so when my boss suggested a celebration of the First Friday of the Week I told him I was time constrained.  He then showed up at my office door an hour earlier than normal and said let’s go.  As I’ve said in the past, I have a great boss!  We headed over to Brew City and had a few adult beverages before I made it home just a little bit late.  Our friend from New Hampshire came down to help us out with some yard chores and we rewarded his kindness with one of those truly mystical pizzas from Zorbas.  My wife demanded ice cream following the pizza and who am I to deny this basic need.  We returned to the house and watched another Sox debacle while checking in on the Olympics as well.  Mundane Friday but more than welcome from a decompression standpoint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment