Sunday, August 5, 2012

Superb Saturday

My Friend Eliminating Insects
As I wrote yesterday, this was the first weekend in a long while that my wife and I did not have some major event to negotiate.  Our friend came down from Keene and we spent a great day at the house.  We put the friend to work washing the house with a power washer while I mounted my trusty steed and mowed the lawn.  My wife orchestrated the entire effort and found a dozen smaller tasks for the both of us to do.  We live in the country so the insects are constantly attempting to make their homes on our house – thus the power washing.  We had a somewhat unsettling confrontation with hornets who took issue with us moving their home, a chair swing.  We settled the issue chemically – the hornets lost.  After we moved the seat we found an entire family of yellow jackets were also a bit upset with us, more chemicals..  It was incredibly hot and humid yesterday so Buddy did not even try to venture outside after his obligatory morning walk with my friend.  He did come out and pose with my friend and I after the work was finished – kind of a poser.  I decided to give him a nick-name of “Pendejo” which is Spanish word for coward and lazy among other things – kind fits my young black lab.  We finished up the work just after lunch and our neighbors invited us over to their pool, did I mention how hot and humid it was?  We spent the entire afternoon over in the pool with the neighbors and their two sons who were so much fun.  They are seven and eleven years old and I was reminded once again about the boundless energy of the young.  They are great kids and we went from game to game all afternoon.  I think I’ll have a sore arm from throwing the nerf ball several thousand times.   I re-discovered the effect of my wife’s fingernails during a spirited game of pool basketball.  She even looked a bit surprised at the carnage by the end of the game and apologized profusely.  We trudged back home after more than four hours in the pool and threw some steaks on the grill.  Apparently I was supposed to clean out the grill dripping pan after the party a couple weeks ago because there was a minor conflagration when I started the grill.  I also found a refugee burger from that party that escaped evacuation.  Buddy volunteered to take care of the errant burger but I thought better of that.  We ended up clearing up a gaping hole in my friend’s movie watching experience by watching the first Expendables movie and then watched Phelps’ farewell gold medal performance.  As my wife and I made our way upstairs at the end of the night she said, “good day, huh?”.  I could not agree more with her.
My Friend with my Steed in the Background
The Orchestrator Worked Also
My View From the Tractor
My Friend and I Along with "Pendejo" the Poser
My Friend and I Confronted with Boundless Energy

No comments:

Post a Comment