Thursday, August 16, 2012

Legacies

The street in front of the house continues to evolve.  They spent another day of hard packing the base dirt yesterday and last night we had some heavy rain which made for an interesting exit for me this morning since a lot of the dirt was displaced.  I hope they fix it before they start laying the asphalt.  I don’t know if I mentioned this but I had to return my brand new watch to Bulova a couple weeks ago because of water damage.  It was supposed to be water resistant but a week after I received it there was some serious moisture inside the watch, making it hard to see.  I didn’t wear it in the pool or shower with it but it came from somewhere.  I followed the directions on the Bulova website and dubiously sent the watch to their facility for warranty repair.  I figured I was probably out of the watch or would be hit with a big repair bill.  Yesterday the watch arrived back fully repaired free of charge.  I was dubious because the web site made it impossible to actually speak with anyone but they fully backed up their warranty promises.  It was such a nice experience compared to my continuing struggles with Sears.  I’m about to drop the death penalty on them but that’s a story for another day.  I forgot to bring my current book in to read over lunch yesterday so I spent the time making travel arrangements.  I’ve always wanted to show my wife San Francisco and to see more of it myself since I was limited to just quick looks while visiting there for business.  In about ten minutes I was able to book flights, hotel and rental car while sitting at my desk – it was so easy.  I don’t know how travel agencies survive – do they?  So in celebration for thirty years of marriage I’m taking my wife to San Francisco in late September.  Last night we settled for a more mundane destination by going to see The Bourne Legacy.  This was a really good film that picked up the story of the back characters from the Matt Damon Bourne movies.  Renner continues his exceptionally strong series of performances in the lead role.  The biggest surprise for me was the appearance of Rachel Weisz who was almost unrecognizable as the female lead.  I don’t know if she’s gone under the knife or is just evolving as she gets older but she’s one of my favorite actresses and like I said, I almost didn’t recognize her.  She’s still really hot and delivered her usual superb performance.  The action sequences were intense and lived up to their Bourne predecessors which made watching these movies almost like being on a roller coaster.  My only problem with the movie was that it seemed to be only half a story.  Obviously the studio is gearing up for a sequel but they didn’t really finish up the plot for the first movie and that’s kind of cheating.  The three very effective movies with the first Bourne trilogy achieved this without stooping to doing this so I was a little disappointed in that; still it was a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.   Speaking of legacies I’ve decided not to apply for the job up in New Hampshire despite the connection the location has with my father’s family.  That legacy was one of the biggest selling points because one of my uncles (and one my most favorite people growing up) helped start the place.  After learning about the family connection I was incredibly drawn to the opportunity.  I left my visit up there fully intending to apply for the position.  I sat down with my wife and discussed the change and we decided that now is not the right time for us to make this decision.  Financially we could not afford the pay cut while we still own the house we're in.  We are planning on selling the house in the next couple of years but until that point we need the income provided by my current job.  I also owe my current boss a great deal loyalty based on what he's done for me and where we’re at in the contract.  I was still going to apply for the job but this would just have pushed the same decision further down the road and I didn't want it to be a disservice to my cousin (who’s still involved with the location and another of my favorite people) if I was offered the job and then had to decline it.   If the position comes open again in a couple of years when I'm hopefully living in Keene I will jump at the opportunity.
Bottom of my Driveway
They've Got Some Work to Do
Hopefully It Will Wait

No comments:

Post a Comment