Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Self-Disappointment and Remembering the Best Weekend Ever

Three Years Ago Today - Toughest Walk Ever
Best Weekend Ever
Yesterday I was contacted out of the blue by an old Army buddy who was visiting New England for a conference.  He was my executive officer when I was a company commander back in the early 1980’s and we were always close friends even though we have seen each other only twice since then (its an Army thing).  He is now a Colonel and recently submitted his retirement papers so we’ve had a couple of telephone conversations where I’ve offered some counsel on his impending departure from the military.  We always have a great time whenever we’re together, usually involving serious consumption of beer.  He asked if I could make it up to his location last night after work since he was only going to be in the area one night.  I eventually talked myself into it on the way home.  He was up in New Hampshire and about a two hour drive away so it was going to be a long pull for a school night.  My wife was willing to make the drive home after the trip but she asked me if I was really serious about driving four hours total for about an hour with my friend and then getting up early today.  I hold my weekly staff meeting first thing on Wednesday morning so a morning fog in the cerebellum was not an option.  I eventually agreed with her reasoning but I felt disappointed in myself that I didn’t make the trip.  I know I would have without even thinking about it a couple of decades ago.  Maybe that’s one of the penalties of maturing – you start thinking about consequences and responsibilities (the old mantra – getting old sucks).  While I’m alert this morning I’m still disappointed in myself. Luckily there’s something to cheer me up.  Today is my daughter’s 3rd wedding anniversary or as that event is remembered around the house – the best weekend ever.  My daughter was the most beautiful bride ever and walking her down the aisle was one of those seminal moments in my life that I will always treasure.  I had such a good time that weekend surrounded by family and friends.  Everybody just enjoyed basking in the glow that emanated from two very special people – my daughter and son in law.  Every time I think back to that weekend I smile, so thanks guys for lifting my spirits on a day I really needed it.
My Friend (L) and I Back in Our Younger, More Mobile Days
Two Very Special People Starting Out on the
Greatest Adventure - 3 Years Ago Today
A Truly Fun Bunch
Only Quiet Moment of the Best Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment