Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Construction Update

Our Missing Road - In Front of House
A few months ago I posted a piece on the groundbreaking ceremony for the new transportation Hub in Worcester.  My boss and I took a trip down there yesterday and the progress is amazing.  They used a process where the concrete for the two towers of the building was formed off site and then trucked in and reassembled on site.  It was strange to see nothing there and then the next week these two large structures appeared.  I remember going to construction sites with my grandfather when I was five years old and being amazed.  There was just a twinge of that yesterday but it brought back some good memories.  My son works as a construction engineer and I also thought of him and wished he was there so he could explain some of the frenetic action going on.  He is in a much better place though as he reported that he and the Most Excellent Girlfriend had safely arrived in Barcelona and were boarding their cruise ship for their Mediterranean adventure.  He’s certainly earned the break.  My daughter reported in from Florida where she and her husband are frolicking on Caribbean beaches.  Wait a minute, Mediterranean and Caribbean, while I watching construction sites in Worcester, MA!  What’s wrong with this picture!  Absolutely nothing, I couldn’t be happier for both of them and their significant others.  I also received a frantic call at work from my wife who reported the street in front of our house was gone.  I asked for some additional clarification and she said a huge machine was eating the street and it was gone.  Buddy was protesting the excavation to no avail.  We’d heard rumors that the town was going to repair our street which closely resembled some of the worst 3rd World streets I experienced in my military travels.  Apparently it was beyond repair so they are going to completely replace it – at least that’s the hope because when I got home I confirmed my wife’s report – the street was in fact – gone.  I don’t think I want to live on a dirt road but for today at least, I am.

The Construction Site Back in April
Same Place a Month Ago

Pre-Fabbed Towers Going Up Right Where Shovels Were
Putting Together the Pieces
Rest of the Site
Other Tower Up - As Seen Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment