Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Quandary Again

Out of the blue one of my relatives contacted me this past weekend about a job opportunity.  When my wife told me who was calling I was immediately concerned because this relative is usually calls with bad news about someone in the family’s health.  After assuring me she was not calling with bad news, she outlined a job opportunity that would bring me back to my beloved New Hampshire.  One year ago I would have jumped at the opportunity and never looked back.  In the interim I took my current job in November and have really enjoyed being back with a group of people I love working with.  I also owe my current boss for his support and would feel a little guilty if I left him because the contract is coming up for renewal.  Apparently I am one of the big selling points with the client for my boss’ company (go figure).  This new job would also mean a pay cut of almost 1/3 because it involves work for a non-profit.  All that being said I am totally intrigued by the opportunity.  It would be a huge challenge and maybe that’s what I’m looking for because I could do my current job in my sleep.  I also like the connection the job has in a small way with the military which I do miss at times.  The biggest selling point however is the opportunity to return to New Hampshire.  Every time I go back to Keene I feel that elusive but heartfelt yearning to return home which is what New Hampshire will always be for me.  I’m going to get up there some time this week to check out the facility with my relative.  I’ll decide on whether to apply for the job after speaking with her, hopefully this week.  Maybe I can go home but honoring my commitments here may prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment