Thursday, October 31, 2019

Journey


It was one of those damned long day’s journey into night yesterday as, for reasons I’m still trying to understand, I stayed up very late to watch the end of the 7th game of the world series even though I wasn’t invested in either team. In the end this is why we watch sports as the multimillionaires playing the game reverted to something we can all identify with – an inborn need to compete and win in a decisive game. It was highly entertaining if at the glacially slow pace that modern baseball has devolved to. There’ll be a lot of questions about the Houston manager’s pitching decisions but I had to admire the resolute nature of the eventual champs. The Nationals just refused to admit they were beaten and rallied late to stun the favored Astros.
BRS with Security Detail
Earlier in the day I had a nice conversation with my younger sister. She and her husband are doing some house hunting reconnaissance and wanted to know what I could tell them about the nearby town of Auburn where they were scoping out a house. It would be so cool to have her so close by. It’s at this point I have to tell myself not to get excited.
Beyond Words
My Favorite Panamanian and I were treated to conversations with both granddaughters energetically preparing for Halloween. The BRS was greeting everyone showing up at the door since their neighborhood had trick or treating last night. She wanted to be everybody’s friend while Riggins finally decided he had security responsibilities and barked at everybody, at least until they came within patting distance. At that point all ferocity succumbed to a well-placed pat on his head. The BRS donned the duck costume made famous by her elder cousin a couple years ago. She as every bit as cute as the FBR was when it was first unveiled. My granddaughters are nothing if not photogenic.
FBR Seeing New Front Yard Addition

It's Jack!!!
The FBR returned home from pre-school to a Wingman engineered surprise. I wrote yesterday about her fascination with Jack Skellington from a Nightmare Before Christmas. She came home to find an inflated Jack on her front lawn. The pictures showed her jumping up and down and eventually hugging her new idol. You just can’t make this kind of stuff up. She’s very excited about Halloween this year and is more prepared to defend her candy horde from the parental depredations she’s experienced in prior years.
FBR Hugs are the Best!
I’m getting excited as we head into November (how is that even possible!). This marks the series of events I spend all year anticipating: the FBR birthday, my birthday pub crawl, Thanksgiving celebrated twice, and finally Christmas, which for me remains a magical time of year. The foliage is still stunning around here but I think we’ll lose a lot of it tonight with a major wind storm blowing through. I’ll have to keep an eye on that dead tree I wrote about a couple weeks ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment