Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Representative Rain


On Monday’s trip back to my home town the weather was truly symbolic of the reasons we were traveling north. During my military career I would always kid my family when we crossed into the state of New Hampshire from wherever we were coming from by saying, “Isn’t the sun a little brighter and the colors more vibrant since we crossed the border?”. Monday’s trip was in stark contrast as the New Hampshire weather was mourning along with the rest of us. We crossed the border and rain started almost immediately and continued off and on for the rest of the time we were in the Granite State. My Favorite Panamanian and I were journeying north for the funeral of Aunt Peg, who functioned as my second mother from the latter half of my youth onwards.
After making the tactical mistake of pulling into a department store for a rest room break, which meant I had to re-enter the place to extricate my suddenly shopping wife, we pulled into the church at the same time as Great Aunt, Soxfather, and Namesake Nephew. In keeping with Aunt Peg’s devout nature the funeral consisted of a complete Catholic mass. I was afraid that was all until at the last moment Aunt Peg’s son got up to share a few thoughts on his very special mom. What followed as an almost stream of conscience tribute that truly captured the wonderful spirit of the lady we were there to honor. He even mentioned the fact that we functioned as a second family for her and recounted the time we all showed up at the nursing home so Aunt Peg could meant the FBR. We were invited to share lunch with the family at a downtown hotel which turned into a special time as we got to speak at length with Aunt Peg’s sons and daughter. As it always seems to, I ran into another long lost friend, a guy who remembered we were in Boy Scouts together. We hadn’t talked in over a half century (boy I’m getting old). It was an exceptional time and we were the last to leave. As we drove back into Massachusetts the rain stopped as soon as we crossed the border. New Hampshire knew.
Date night and we saw an amazing movie last night in Joker. There is something about the character of Batman’s Joker that brings out extraordinary performances but Joaquin Phoenix has outdone all predecessors. He totally inhabits the role and it was mesmerizing to behold. This is an origin story but it doesn’t involve a descent because he’s already psychotic when we first meet him. He plays an unsuccessful clown/comedian in a crumbling Gotham City. You can almost root for him as his desperately lonely life dissolves into chaos. Phoenix’s performance lends the perfect amount of unease to the audience as we watch the train wreck that his mind is unfold in slow motion. The sudden violence is unvarnished and pointed straight at those who would lionize the comic criminality the Joker is usually surrounded by. This is a very bad man; despite the challenges society and his warped life have thrown at him. I’ve always thought Joaquin Phoenix was kind of an acquired taste but you can see the pain and madness permeating his character and it’s impossible to look away. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a while but don’t go if you’re not ready to be figuratively smacked in the mouth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment