Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Diminishing Returns


I wrote yesterday about the departure from the realm of my beloved Aunt Peg. It did not come as a surprise but I was in a funk for most of the day. It seemed that the world was just a little dimmer, diminished with her departure. She had been such a fixture of my youth and I didn’t realize how much I counted on her existence, even though we hadn’t seen each other for a while. It was almost like another farewell for my mother since these two ladies were inextricably linked for the second halves of their lives. Life is weird but not nearly as much as death.
My wife spent all of yesterday genuinely regretting her braggadocio about not feeling any effects of the shingles vaccine. She spent most of the day in bed bemoaning her fate. She’s feeling much better this morning. There wasn’t anything compelling at the movie theater and considering her infirm state we passed on date night this week. I used the additional time to finish off the new tree installation in the front yard. I installed one of my signature retaining walls around the tree and it was much easier than digging the damned thing in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment