Saturday, October 12, 2019

Suave Saturday


I am in the possession of a rare commodity – a Saturday with no visible plans. That is until my wife moved to fill the vacuum, realizing in me she has a driver available with the ability to overcome her direction challenged trip to the Natick Mall. Nature must truly hate a vacuum because I find myself agreed to driving her to mall this afternoon. She knows the right buttons to push and that there is a movie theater right next door. Buttons, indeed.
My Date at Table Twelve Last Night
She surprised me by showing up at First Friday last night and we followed that up with dinner at what we’re now calling our new Zorba’s. Table Twelve passed the last critical test last night which was the inevitable pizza palatability exam. It was a weird day that saw even more of the weekend vacuum filled. My Favorite Son was too busy to take us up on our invitation to visit so I surprised my wife with a Sunday night reservation at a Bed and Breakfast up in the Vermont mountains. This will give us a jump start on our annual leaf peeping Columbus Day tour. I’m kind of a hero at home right now – driving to a mall and a surprise getaway all on the same weekend.
Our Destination Sunday
Earlier I took a call while I was driving home for lunch. It was one of my fraternity brothers whom I hadn’t spoken to in over 40 years. He was arranging a small get together of fraternity brothers at UNH and wanted to invite me. When he told me it was the 15th of November I told him that was my birthday and probably couldn’t make it. I got home for lunch and discussed with my Favorite Panamanian and she said why not. The more I thought about it the more I realized reconnecting with old friends would serve as an excellent birthday present in and of itself. The only price would be a slightly longer drive the next day for my annual hometown birthday pub crawl. I also happen to know someone who lives fairly close to campus who wouldn’t mind putting us up for the night – our revenge on the Favorite Son. Vacuum successfully overfilled.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

1 comment:

  1. Very sorry to learn that you attended UNH. I had the pleasure of beating them on the ice a few times while at UVM ! LOL ! Great discussion for our Thanksgiving get-together. Really looking forward to it Jim ! Will try to call soon. Best, Bob

    ReplyDelete