Thursday, October 3, 2019

Secret Photographic Evidence


My Favorite Panamanian has never been a strict follower of rules which has led to the inevitable minor conflicts you would expect after she married a career military dude. It’s part of the spice she brings to the relationship that I am eternally grateful for. During our recent visit to New Jersey we accompanied the FBR to her gymnastics class. I’ve been before and was thoroughly briefed that photography was not allowed during the class. I’m sure this is a very sane rule so the inevitable pervert doesn’t avail himself of the opportunity. We had just sat down when my wife pulled out her phone and I saw my daughter rising up to admonish her. I quickly informed my wife of the above stated rule. She didn’t like it and in her defense the FBR was in prime photographic form jumping and tumbling across the floor but she acquiesced. That is until she saw the entire front row of mothers acting like they were checking texts but in reality were obviously taking pictures or videoing their kids. That was all my wife needed to set off to capture the attached photos. I guess moms and grandmas are a lot less threatening than an elder man with a camera. Here is the classified footage:



While the passing of my Aunt Peg was a serious downer earlier this week it did provide an opportunity to talk with both of my sisters, something I don’t do anywhere nearly often enough. The eloquent obituary appeared today and captured what a special lady my Aunt Peg was. Hers was a life of service to her family, her profession, her community and her country. I often hope someone can say at my funeral that I led a life well lived. My Aunt Peg seriously checked that block.
Finally, I’m about a quarter of the way through a book, The Overstory by Richard Powers, that my daughter gifted to me for Father’s Day. She inherited my love of reading and the written word so I can see why she knew I would love this book. I no longer review books here on Frail Deeds because it seemed overly pretentious of me to pass judgement on much better writers. As I make my way through each chapter there are constantly passages that make me laugh and nod in agreement with. Here’s an example: “growing conviction that the greatest flaw of the species is its overwhelming tendency to mistake agreement for truth. Single biggest influence on what a body will or won’t believe is what nearby bodies broadcast over the public band. Get three people in a room and they’ll decide that the law of gravity is evil and should be rescinded because one of their uncles got shitfaced and fell off the roof.” If you love words and the expert positioning of them in relation to each other then check out The Overstory.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment