Friday, October 4, 2019

Waxing Crescent Madness

After my first few waking hours today I was convinced I was in the middle of some weird lunar phase – almost certainly a full moon due to some of the craziness I encountered. It turns out (I actually checked) that the moon in currently in what is known as its Waxing Crescent phase. So, no explanation there. Let me explain. I stumbled out of bed more than little dejected that I’m now greeted by complete darkness as daylight wanes with the coming of autumn. I jumped (high exaggeration there) into the car for my morning drive to the Y. I have series of backroads I usually take only to be confronted by a detour set up in the most obscure of these roads. This directed me back by my starting point and when I got around to the main road I found that blocked as well. After a highly circuitous route I finally reached the Y. Just before I got there I passed by the blocked off street and saw that the end of that street had been swallowed overnight by a massive sinkhole. I’m guessing there was a water main break and hoped there wasn’t a car at the bottom of the huge hole.
The weirdness was not over. I made my way to work with the usual traffic hijinks around Kelly Square as they ramp up construction of the new ballpark (YES!). I thought I was home free as I’d successfully negotiated the day’s ration of detours and pulled onto the main road outside my office. Then I noticed a number of flashing lights congregated around the main entrance to my facility. An ambulance was there which didn’t seem like a good sign. As I inched closer it was obvious the ambulance had been in an accident. The driver pulled into and blocked our main entrance to contemplate his bad luck. The other vehicle involved parked a short distance away and the combination effectively blocked the road. I almost don’t want to leave my office today because we all know these type calamities occur in threes but today is the First Friday of the Week (sorely needed) and will have to marked with appropriate levels of solemnity (Yippee!)
The actual Sinkhole
The granddaughters were only semi-communicative last evening. The BRS cajoled my Favorite Son into taking her outside for a walk despite the falling rain. It was comical watching him trying to balance the cell phone and an umbrella while in hot pursuit of the BRS who has significantly upgraded in the speed department. The FBR just wanted to stare at us as we tried to get her to talk with us. Our standard drill now is to turn the screen away from her and talk with either my daughter or Wingman, who still enjoy talking with us (go figure). This produced the predictable result and the FBR demanded a return to screen monopolization and showed us her latest art creations from day care, which I have to admit were pretty cool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment