Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Emptiness Filled


As I approached this past weekend I was surprised by the lack of plans which is definitively out of my recent ordinary. I wasn’t complaining as I can always come up with some things to do around the house and part of the reason was waiting to hear what the funeral plans were for Aunt Peg. The news came down that the funeral would be Monday which further added to the week’s end entropy. I should have realized I’m blessed with some extraordinary people around me who would rise to the occasion and fill the vacuum. I was just about finished with some chores (listed below) when my sister called to invite us to Rhode Island for dinner and a Soxfather family gathering.
Wife with Great Aunt and Soxfather Saturday Night
I was fully engaged Saturday morning finally hanging up the battery chargers on the wall in the garage from all of the various implements I have that feature them; something I’ve been meaning to do for several months now. I also power washed the side of the house which is shade dominated and was sporting its annual coat of green mold. Finally I took part in the annual migration of my wife’s bougainvilleas inside from their summer sojourn on Deckzilla. This is an annual event I dread because the damned things poke me constantly during the move. Just to make it a little more interesting (challenging) the plants were headed upstairs for the new master bedroom which sports the only south facing window in the house. I can only hope some weird insects aren’t hibernating in the dirt and decide to sample us while we sleep.
Granddaughters Sporting the Same Hairdoo

FBR Owning It
Great Aunt and Soxfather took us out to eat at Not Your Average Joe's. We had never been to this place which apparently is a new chain. I really liked it even though we were exposed to this year’s onslaught of pumpkin spice. My Favorite Panamanian had Pumpkin Spice Sangria followed by pumpkin and potato soup – it has begun. We had a truly fun time but the best part of the evening is what followed. We stopped by to see Namesake Nephew’s newly acquired house which was so cool. My wife was a little concerned since it is right next to an ancient burying ground but with my recent forays in Ancestry.Com there’s a good chance we have relatives planted there. We then moved to Great Aunt’s house where Soxfather’s sister and her family joined us along with Namesake Nephew for one of the patented sit around the dining room table, drink beer, and laugh almost nonstop events. It was, again, one of the those nights I hated the inevitably of it's end.
Stylin

Cake pops!
Saturday night’s excessive fun had to be paid for to a certain degree on Sunday but the void filling task was picked up on by the Neighborhood Mafioso. After watching a tougher than is should have been blowout by the Patriots we walked down the street for a delicious dinner with a gathering of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia. That is never a bad way to spend time and Sunday night was no exception. The food was delicious and the company even better. Then there is always the two minute walk home after the get together. My friends and family rock. Granddaughter updates shared through the photos today.
FBR Achieving Long Sought Unicorn Status

She Was At Maplewood's Octoberfest

Where a Video Showed her Dominating a Dance Floor

True Descendant of her Abuela

Favorite Son, ABFA and BRS Out Apple-picking



No Dad I Said I would Get It





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment