Friday, October 25, 2019

Friday – In all Its Glory


Each Friday is an entity in and of itself and I try to treat each with the proper amount of respect. Today is no different and will require the weekly pilgrimage to Brew City to pay the appropriate level of relevance to this most favorite day of the week. Beer will be involved. Some weeks require it; alright you got me, all weeks, but more so this week because it was so mundane, at least at work. I almost (a big almost) wish things were busier at work so the work week wouldn’t literally crawl by. Except for a surprise Wednesday meeting I had conveniently forgotten about until that morning the rest of the week passed by with the viscosity of peanut butter.
My Favorite Panamanian had her own little adventure yesterday. She’d acquired some new plants (because we can never have enough) up in Maine but had forgotten them at my son’s house during her trek south. We had to do a hasty oil change Wednesday night for her car so she could set out for New Hampshire on Thursday to recover the plants. She enlisted the company of another member of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian mafia for company. She’d asked me for the address of the Newington shopping center (where incidentally I once purchased an unredeemed engagement ring) so I suspected there would be shopping involved in the trip. We also recently received a very generous Home Depot gift card from the solar company and that was burning a hole in certain pockets. So my wife’s three hour trip (there and back) turned Gilligan-esque when I returned home to an empty house as the sun was setting and she hadn’t even left New Hampshire yet.
I took advantage of her absence to sneak away to the theater to see a movie I would never get my wife to see. For some reason she doesn’t want to see zombies dismembered, go figure. Zombieland: Double Tap retains the very fun attitude of the original. Our Oscar nominated crew of zombie killers have taken up residence in the ruins of the White House which lends itself to some serious gags. I missed Woody’s obsession with Twinkies but it’s been replaced with an Elvis mania which leads him to Rosario Dawson – never a bad thing. It’s all escapist fun despite the constant zombie attacks with some really funny zingers aimed at millennials. I know critics who take themselves way too seriously will be upset with actors of this caliber taking up this kind of fare but it is pure unadulterated fun and would have been really silly (alright more silly) with lesser actors. Make sure to stay for all of the credits for your Bill Murray fix who re-appears despite the hole blown in his chest in the first movie.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment