Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Dance Off


Decibel levels returned to customary levels at home with yesterday’s return of my Favorite Panamanian from her northern adventures. Prior to leaving my son’s home she engaged in what has become a patented move with her granddaughters. Anyone who knows my wife will not be surprised that this involved dancing. She and the BRS danced together prior to the BRS’ leaving for daycare. The BRS may look like pure gringa but she definitely has some Latina spiciness running through her bloodstream because she was totally on board with the dancing. The ABFA sent a video of the two of them dancing and the BRS was totally hanging with my Favorite Panamanian which I know from long experience on the dance floor is no easy task.
Abuela Dance Off
Yesterday I also let my corporate bosses know about my planned retirement in 2020 which was a huge step because heretofore I’d just been kicking the date down the road. They were appreciative of the advance notice and now I have a semi-definite mark on the wall. I found it kind of liberating. It will interesting to watch over the next few months as my various staff members start circling around the guy I’ve groomed to take over for me. I’m at peace with the decision because while the money is nice (check that – very nice), if life has taught me anything it is the value of time with the people you love. Since I don’t really need the very nice level of income I want the freedom to spend more time with those people while I’m still a few years short of complete dotage (insert Cantankerous Friend insult here). I’m sure that last sentence has sent some of those people scurrying for cover concerning my impending ability to visit them.
Since I had a date available again for date night we were at the cinema to see Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. I wasn’t totally invested in these characters from the first movie – especially Jolie whom I think is wandering into some sort of permanent “weirdness” however she is definitely the best part of this movie. She done up in signature makeup for the part but her eyes are singularly eloquent and made me a fan (against extremely long odds). The story is very silly with Jolie’s adopted daughter marrying into a royal family that includes Michelle Pfeiffer chewing up some scenery as the evil step mother. This all devolves into a war between humans and fairy folk, augmented by a previously unknown branch of Maleficent’s family.  It’s tough for Disney to do war since they don’t want anybody hurt, much less killed. The movie is worth seeing for the Jolie-Pfeiffer faceoff but the rest of the cast is uniformly forgettable. There is a lesson here – you’d better be a step-master guru if you’re going to fight in this palace. I grew tired just watching all the staircases involved but definitely worth a see – if for no other reason than Jolie’s performance (and I can’t believe I’m saying that).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment