Monday, October 28, 2019

Disney Princessed


The only thing remotely redeemable about Mondays is the ability to reflect back on a weekend exceptionally well spent. That is certainly the case today which is a rare example for this level of contentment realized without the direct involvement (personal contact with) either of my children or the granddaughters. It is therefore an excellent assessment of the quality of people I‘m lucky enough to be acquainted with. Heading that august list would be my Favorite Panamanian as we knocked out a bunch of house projects as well as some partying.
The ABFA, the BRS and the Rock
Oops, I Mean my Son in their Moana Gear
My Daughter and her "Elsa"
But first I have to discuss the granddaughters since they are never far from my mind. Since Wingman was out in Minneapolis rehearsing for next year’s reunion tour, the FBR and my daughter were hanging out solo for the weekend. The FBR almost forgot to wear her costume to Saturday gymnastics class but remembered to transform into Frozen’s Elsa just in time. Both ladies seem to have a good time with that and a couple get togethers with friends. The BRS, not to be outdone, convinced my son’s family to transform into Disney characters with her (obviously) playing the lead role as Princess Moana of the Motunui (I know that because of previous education from the FBR). In a bit of type casting my Favorite Son donned as costume as Maui, played in the movie by the Rock. I was astounded at the similarity achieved once my son was garbed up.
FBR as Elsa

BRS as Moana

ABFA and Moana at Saturday Music Class

Partying Saturday Night
Back to my adventures, First Friday was a superb indicator of just how fine the weekend was going to be. This was needed after an unfortunate finger flaying episode when I gallantly volunteered to cut my wife’s bread when we went out for lunch that day (I’m very dangerous – mostly to myself). My Assistant GM always makes a big deal when he attends despite an extremely spotty attendance record at First Friday. When he does show up it’s usually just for a quick beer and then leaves. He was about to do the same when two of the youngest and undeniably beautiful female managers showed up to participate. For the first time he stayed until the end. I called it the “Young Blonde Effect”. He pled the fifth.
Deckzilla Birds at New Feeder
Saturday was a beautiful New England autumn day and I was assigned to garden duty by my Favorite Panamanian. She wanted to cut back the large hosta plants she has ringing her vast garden complex. This was a task right up my alley since I excel at destruction and leave the actual growing of things to my more accomplished better half. Apparently I was a little too good at it because she came out to find the now denuded landscape and gasped, stating that she had clearly told me (she didn’t) to keep a least one leaf per plant. We trimmed back the rest of the gardens together as she kept very close rein on my willingness to cut. One of the tasks I truly enjoyed was installing a new bird feeder on Deckzilla. The combination of squirrels and a lazy neighborhood hawk who refused to eat them had ruined an earlier version. For some reason I love watching birds although I’ve never taken it to the professional level. The birds were very happy with the addition although they would scatter whenever the hawk soared above hunting for something other than squirrel or the ubiquitous rabbits.
Soxfather with his Photogenic Siblings Saturday Night

Wife and Great Aunt at Namesake Nephew's House
We finished up the projects and headed south to a housewarming get together at my Namesake Nephew’s new house. We joined Soxfather’s family and Great Aunt to properly christen the new abode. I’ve written many times but it bears repeating just how much enjoyment I take out of these gatherings. The nephew’s dining room table was a perfect spot to gather family around and kid each other. I couldn’t believe it when it turned out to be after 11pm and I reluctantly handed over the keys to my Favorite Panamanian (I may have had a couple beers along the way). This was the first of what I hope to be many family gatherings at this house. It sits right next to a historical cemetery which I’m going to have to check out at some point. During my genealogical excavations I’ve learned that several of my ancestors from my mother’s side emigrated to the US through colonial Rhode Island.
Sunday was a depressing day weather wise with a steady rain the entire day. The aforementioned Assistant GM and his girlfriend joined us later in the day to watch the Patriots’ game in the Man Cave. That turned out to be a lot of fun as it was great to have someone to kid around with as the Patriots rolled to Belichick’s 300th career win. The Browns actually fielded a lot of talent but couldn’t seem to get out of their own way, at one point turning the ball over to the Pats on three consecutive snaps. The Pats are still undefeated but their schedule turns tougher gong into November but it sure is fun to watch this defense. They’ve supplanted the offense as the strength of the team.
So another well spent weekend logged and the prospects for November are more than excellent with trips to New Jersey for the FBR‘s 4th birthday party, to Keene for my annual birthday pub crawl, and the annual two day Thanksgiving extravaganza. I just love November. Despite all the leaves to pick up.
The Architect and the Author
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment